AC to fly YYT-LHR with an A-319 next year

dagger

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...6/20/c0959.html

Air Canada to offer non-stop seasonal service between St. John's, NL and London, U. K., with daily flights during summer peak travel

MONTREAL, July 20 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today seasonal non-

stop service between St. John's, NL and London, U.K. beginning April 6, 2007.

Air Canada's service to London will operate three times weekly on

Wednesday, Friday and Sunday in April 2007, increasing to five times a week in

May 2007, and to daily service from mid-June to September 2007. Air Canada

flight AC830 will leave St. John's at 12:55, arriving in London at 21:25, and

flight AC831 will leave London at 22:40 arriving in St. John's at 00:40.

"The people of Newfoundland and Labrador have told us loudly and clearly

that they value a non-stop link to the U.K. and we believe we have found a

creative solution that meets demand," said Ben Smith, Vice President, Network

Planning, Air Canada. "With this service we will be able to offer the

convenience of daily non-stop service to London for summer peak travel."

The carrier will operate the route using newly refurbished 120-seat

Airbus A319 aircraft in a two-cabin configuration offering a choice of

Executive Class and Economy service. The A319 jets to be deployed on this

route feature Air Canada's new personal entertainment system currently being

introduced fleet-wide with 8.9-inch wide digital in-seat monitors and touch-

screen controls offering audio and video on demand programming at every seat.

Other features include Air Canada's new seating and cabin design with in-seat

power within reach of every customer.

From Newfoundland and Labrador, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz offer more

than 159 scheduled flights each week to 9 destinations across Canada, more

than any other carrier.

Seems it's still not good enough for some people.......

Air Canada under fire for Heathrow flight cuts

Last Updated: Friday, July 21, 2006 | 11:09 AM NT

CBC News

Air Canada's decision to cut some of its flights between St. John's and London, England, is drawing heavy fire from the city's business community and a federal cabinet minister.

Two months ago, Air Canada announced that in September, it would drop its daily, non-stop service between St. John's and London's Heathrow airport.

However, after widespread protest — including a threat from St. John's city council to boycott the airline — Air Canada announced Thursday that it will begin offering three flights a week in April 2007, five flights a week in May 2007, and daily flights between June and September.

Company spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said the move makes economic sense for the airline. "During the summer, we can operate this route and it is viable," said Arthur.

"Unfortunately, the economic conditions and market demands during the wintertime do not enable us to offer the service at that time."

St. John's Board of Trade president Ray Dillon denounced Air Canada's decision to provide a reduced service. "The flight will be less frequent and the aircraft won't be large enough to handle our regular cargo needs," said Dillon.

Federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister Loyola Hearn, the MP for St. John's South-Mount Pearl, also criticized the airline's decision.

He said the reduced service is not an adequate response to the public outcry over the initial announcement that the flights would be cancelled.

"I don't see anything about what will happen between now and April," said Hearn.

"Nor am I enthused with the company coming in saying, 'We'll provide the service during the peak tourism time and make money and, you know, who cares what's going to happen to the people who are interested in commuting during the rest of the year.' To me, this is not at all satisfactory."

Hearn said if Air Canada is no longer interested in providing regular service, another carrier can be found.

Well, it is going to cost AC a fair bit of money to set the 319 up for this operation and train the pilots for overseas operations, ETOPS and the like. Just to try and accomodate the good people of YYT. All so the gaping mouths down east can complain. Good grief.

If another carrier can be found, then I say let them have at it. These folks are obviously unable to get off the chronic complaint addiction that has grabbed a hold of them.

Sorry for the rant. Finally reached my limit for stupidity today.

Vs

Guest prob30

But certifying and setting up the 320 series for transatlantic ops even before Westjet confirms their entry into this market (inevitable) surely puts them ahead of the curve competitively.

It's win/win- appease the Newfies, complain about the cost of setting up the service, recieve some form of compensation or revenue guarantee from the city of St. John's, meanwhile putting Westjet on notice that they have a ready-made solution to narrowbody competition across the atlantic. I think it's smart.

Just to try and accomodate the good people of YYT. All so the gaping mouths down east can complain.

I think one of the drivers for this is what to do with the SA Airbii as the EMBs all come on line. Hawaii could be the next target and then.....

oh but where's all the idiots out there shooting off about how they'd NEVER go on a narrow body across the atlantic, and what a fool anyone would be to try to operate one!

The shoe is on the other foot this time. wink.gif

oh brother...it is hard to believe that we are in an industry handling big expensive pieces of machinery with the travelling public putting their lives in all of our hands. Can there not be one thread that doesn't end up in a childish rant by someone over "who's daddy can beat up the other one"?

Guest Loquacious1
oh brother...it is hard to believe that we are in an industry handling big expensive pieces of machinery with the travelling public putting their lives in all of our hands. Can there not be one thread that doesn't end up in a childish rant by someone over "who's daddy can beat up the other one"?

Good point Dozer!

When are we all going to start thinking a bit more like we are all in the same game? I wish we would begin to work and support each other a little more as a PROFESSION (not just pilots either, F/A's, AMEs, Everyone!) not only just within our own organizations. "Profession" is the root of "Professional" as I recall? It seems to be lacking, at all levels, over the last years... It is disappointingly different than what I recall seeing as a young person aspiring to be in this business.

Yes, there has been lots of jabbing back and forth over the years but the reality of this industry means we should consider less about what sandbox we live in and more about the progress of our professions, as professionals. I am working towards that end daily in my job.

Remember, paint jobs come and go...

it wasn't a rant, it was a well-placed, well-deserved and admitted cheap shot! biggrin.gif

cheers.

Archived