AC CRJs

Monday, May 1, 2006

On Friday, shares of ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. were valued at $30.71 on the TSE, down $0.44.

On Friday, oil on the WTI index was $71.88 US per barrel, up $0.91.

Sharing our Success OTP results. Yesterday, our on-time performance for arrivals (+15) was 85 per cent, bringing our monthly performance to 84 per cent, which was one percentage points over target.  Great teamwork and effort everyone!

“This is an accomplishment to be proud of, and we are now assured of the first payout under Sharing Our Success. I thank each and every one of you for your efforts during April. The target for May will be set at 84 per cent which is one percentage point higher than the target for last year. It is a stretch but, working together, I know we can achieve it. Remember – stay safe, stay focused and keep up the good work,” said Rob Reid, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.

Air Canada News:

Montie's Roadshow on the Web. If you missed Montie on his visit to your city, a video of one of his presentations is now available through the Portal, so you can all see and hear Montie talk about the achievements we should be proud of, as well as our objectives for this year. You'll find the video under "My News" in the "Webcasting" channel found beneath the "Table of Contents".

Launch of new dress uniforms begins today. The new dress uniform has been launched today, and during the month of May our customers will see both the new blue and some green uniforms as the transition from old to new is completed. “A lot of work and effort went into bringing this new uniform project to fruition,” said David Tait, Senior Vice President, Customer Service. “My heartfelt thanks to all those who were involved in the uniform makeover, from the members of the Uniform Committee, to frontline employees and union representatives who played an active and advisory role in every step of its creation.”

By June 1st, every customer service frontline employee will be wearing the new blue uniform. Employees are encouraged to donate old uniform articles to a charity of their choice, as long as all the identifiable Air Canada markings (logos, wings, buttons and labels) are removed, for security reasons.

Last Air Canada CRJ flights operated April 30. Yesterday marked the last day the Canadair Regional Jet operated in the Air Canada fleet. All of Air Canada’s CRJs are transferring to Air Canada Jazz. The CRJ first joined Air Canada in the Fall of 1994, and with the signing of the Open Skies Agreement in 1995, this aircraft quickly became the backbone of the airline’s expansion into the United States. Nicknamed ‘hub-buster’, the CRJ played a key role in opening many underserved or unserved city-pairs between Canada and the United States.

Executive First onboard service changes today. Starting today, customers travelling in Executive First between Canada and Europe or Delhi, India will notice a few changes to the services offered onboard. The most noticeable change will be the re-introduction of the meal tray, which will replace the current trolley presentation service for table settings, appetizers, and cheese. The snacks offered during the first bar service will change from a ramekin of warm nuts to individual miniature olive jars and packaged almond snacks. We will continue to offer a light meal prior to landing. On flights from Canada to Europe, a continental breakfast featuring fresh fruit, warm breakfast pastries, yogurt and cereal will be served along with beverages. On flights from Europe to Canada, the ‘lite bites’ service will feature fresh salad with balsamic vinaigrette, a choice of hot savouries and sauces accompanied by a full selection of beverages. Customers will have a choice of three meal options: a four course meal consisting of a choice of appetizer, choice of three main courses, cheese plate, and choice of two desserts. Two alternative meal options are available for customers who want more time to sleep or work during the flight. The Gourmet Express meal features a cold plate; main course, cheese plate, and dessert. The other light meal option features a choice of appetizer, cheese plate, and dessert. We will implement these changes on our other international flights starting with Tel Aviv on June 1, followed by South America and the South Pacific on July 1, and then Asia and Japan on August 1.

Today marks the official start of North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week. This is an annual initiative held across North America whereby occupational health and safety awareness is highlighted with a variety of related activities. Corporate Safety & Environment is sponsoring this event for a third consecutive year. The week was officially launched this morning with a Flag Raising Ceremony held by Montie Brewer and Chantal Baril at the Montreal Base. Executives and team members from various Branches and Business Units were present to help celebrate the official kick-off – photos of the event will be posted on the Portal later today; on the “My News” homepage select “Online Extra” under the Table of Contents. This week is a great opportunity to further demonstrate our commitment to safety as a core value, not only at work but also at home. Information on NAOSH week activities can be found on the Portal under "My Work". Look in the wide channel, right under "Avian Flu" for the link.

Census Day is coming soon! Census Day is Tuesday, May 16, 2006. On this day, everyone living in Canada will count themselves in when they complete and return their 2006 Census questionnaire. Every person, young and old, will be counted in the 2006 Census. Starting today, every household in Canada will receive a census form that must be completed by Census Day, May 16. Further information on the 2006 Census is available at www.census2006.ca, or by calling the Census Help Line, free of charge, at 1-877-594-2006 starting today, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. in all time zones.

Industry News:

Delta debuts new uniform. Today, Delta Airlines starts rolling out its new employee uniform, designed by Richard Tyler. The new look is part of the airline's transformation plan, long-term brand strategy and investment in distinguishing itself in the marketplace.  Source: Aviation Daily

Gee, I thought there would be a press release and a tearful retrospective of the aircrafts career at the company. What, no recognition whatsoever?

PP

That dog don't hunt.

Kev, my bet is that route will go flat on its face in a New York minute. Unless they up gauge the A/C in the fall to something that can handle all the stuff that northerners tend to carry. The parkas in the winter alone will cause nothing but grief for the FA's, plus all the extra goodies that they buy in the south where things tend to be alot cheaper. The suitcases go south empty, and north so full it would make a Japanese tourist blush.

Another brilliant move. A couple of years ago they put a couple of flights a day between YVR and YEG on a Jazz RJ. With the volume of luggage the Japanese have heading to YZF the baggage hold was so full.......

they LOST peoples carry-on!

Passengers would put there carry-on on the Valet cart, the rampie would go to the baggage hold and.... it was FULL.

So the YVR rampie would take the un-tagged carry-on and promptly sent it to 'bag heaven.'

I've been asked many times lately what I think about Air Canada's move into northern territory. I too don't think it will last more than one season for several reasons:

Ticket prices online are already higher than initially bragged about by AC. This may have be neccessitated by higher fuel costs but the travelling public won't likely see this as anything other than AC reaching deeper into their pockets before their service has even started.

Both First Air and Canadian North have made moves to match AC's pricing.

Both northern carriers offer a level of cabin service that is now unheard of domestically, at least within North America. Hot meals, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, free wine with meals other than breakfast, cash bar, hot towels, pillows, blankets, newspapers, candies etc... The service harkens back to an earlier time in air travel and pax have grown to enjoy it. Even if AC decides to ramp up their cabin service, I don't imagine that the galley or cabin crew compliment on the CRJ lends itself to the level of service provided by Canadian North or First Air.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, baggage volume will be a HUGE issue on the Skidoo. As it is, we have ongoing problems with carry-on and to a lesser degree checked bag volume even with the 737 and it's 70's vintage spacious overhead bins. The Japanese all travel with hard sided Samsonite voluminous enough to contain a Toyota Corolla PLUS a clean pair of skivies. Northerners seem to lean towards hockey bags and Action Packers.

Both northern carriers have a long standing tradition of supporting community and sporting groups throughout the north. This has fostered a sense of loyalty amongst many northerners although not all are aware of the generosity.

Air Canada had let a contract for ground handling/ticket counter in YZF which was met with a distinct lack of interest by northern carriers and for good reason. They will now be forced to invest in infrastructure and staff that will eat into yield.

Both northern carriers haul freight with their combis to mitigate what are at times skinny passenger loads.

There are no doubt other issues at play that will make AC's expansion into the north a difficult enterprise.

I say "Fill yer boots". They'll be gone in six months.

Kev

Had A/C had any interest, they would have kept Canadi>n North. The north simply doesn't fit into their business model.

The R/J is doomed for failure.

The existing carriers have nothing to worry about.

Guest rattler
Had A/C had any interest, they would have kept Canadi>n North. The north simply doesn't fit into their business model.

The R/J is doomed for failure.

The existing carriers have nothing to worry about.

Canadian North was not theirs to keep.

Canadian North is owned by NorTerra Inc. NorTerra Inc. is jointly owned by the Inuvialuit Development Corporation (IDC), representing the Inuvialuit of the Western Arctic and Nunasi Corporation, representing the Inuit of Nunavut. Together these organizations represent over 30,000 Inuit and Inuvialuit Beneficiaries throughout the north. Canadian North was sold in 1998 to NorTerra Inc.

During the 1990s, NorTerra grew using sound business principles to become one of Canada's top 500 companies. Building with corporate profits and private sector financing we diversified into southern Canada and then expanded our role as a major provider of northern infrastructure by acquiring Canadian North Airlines. Doing good business and making strategic investments have established NorTerra not only as a leader in the Arctic, but also as a major conduit to the southern business world for the people of the North.

NorTerra Group of Companies

You are correct, I suspect that Norterra may have been happy to continue a wet-lease agreement with Air Canada. Along the same lines, as was with Canadi>n. We will never know?

Had Air Canada been remotely interested in operating in the North?

At that point in time there were only a few (i've long forgotten how many) 737 Freighters owned by Norterra.

That being said, Canadian North has turned out to be a great little operation

Guest rattler

Here is what they have now.

Owner name Mark Common Name Model Owner Registered Since Serial Number

1 Air Norterra Inc C-FHCP Boeing 737-2T5 2005-01-20 22024

2 Air Norterra Inc C-FTAY Fokker F.28 MK1000 2001-07-16 11084

3 Air Norterra Inc C-GCPN Boeing 737-217 2004-12-20 21717

4 Air Norterra Inc C-GDPA Boeing 737-2T2C 2001-11-26 22056

5 Air Norterra Inc C-GFPW Boeing 737-275C 2003-08-12 21294

6 Air Norterra Inc C-GJCP Boeing 737-217 2006-01-11 22728

7 Air Norterra Inc C-GKCP Boeing 737-217 2004-11-02 22729

8 Air Norterra Inc C-GNDU Boeing 737-242C 2002-02-15 22877

9 Air Norterra Inc C-GOPW Boeing 737-275C 2001-12-27 22160

10 Air Norterra Inc C-GSPW Boeing 737-275C 2001-11-23 22618

They are pre EICAS 2000 and the HUD (1 side) was already there in mainline. Don't know about the engine upgrade though. The only route I can think of where mainline might have benefitted was Toronto-Houston.

The aircraft didn't have EGPWS either so that's another upgrade to get done (deadline is sometime this fall I believe)

They are pre EICAS 2000 and the HUD (1 side) was already there in mainline. Don't know about the engine upgrade though. The only route I can think of where mainline might have benefitted was Toronto-Houston.

The aircraft didn't have EGPWS either so that's another upgrade to get done (deadline is sometime this fall I believe)

Where's all this avionic work gonna get done? Avmax?

Archived