Sign in to follow this  
AME

Engine failure?

Have you ever had an engine failure?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had an engine failure?

• Yes
    • No

I was curious as to what percentage of the Pilots here have ever experienced an engine failure at some point in their career

Guest ACSideStick

Twice,

1. PT6a-20 - Catastrophic, split the the case, containment ring peeled open, threw blades, fire, smoke.

2. PT6a-42 - AME cross threaded oil plug, came out in flight, lost oil, feathered,

Guest Limitlss

Twice as well;

PW120A - Oil cooler weld joint failed. Precautionary shutdown.

PW123 - Unschedulled feather. Possibly related to Beta backup feather valve.

Both were at altitude and pax hardly noticed a difference except for the other prop at 1200 RPM. Which is quite loud.

Total of 5 Engine failures (shutdowns)

1) HS748 - Accessory drive failure required shutdown

2) HS748 - Complete loss of oil on stbd engine

3) HS748 - Throttle on port engine stuck at half position. Required shutdown to land on 3000' runway

4) B727 - Low oil pressure / Filter bypass required shutdown

5) B727 - Same problem again

Luckily, all carried out according to checklist. Still makes you think though!!!

DC3, (2). Blew the head right off a jugg, 2nd oil cooler blew.

Herc, L100-30, lots of precautionary shutdowns (5) for various reasons, chip light etc. The dreaded three engine approach!

A340 (1) number 1 engine exceeded engine vib limits, ran the drill for high vib from the QRH. As we started to restore the engine to see what the vib would do, the engine let go with a very loud boom. Another dreaded three engine approach.

I was curious as to what percentage of the Pilots here have ever experienced an engine failure at some point in their career

HOW MANY HAVE BOOKED OFF DUE TO STRESS AFTER?

Precautionary shutdown due to low oil pressure JT-15D 4B. Oil vent/orifice coked up causing oil seal to blow, and loss of most oil. Core exhaust area was glossy wet with oil after landing.

All told, the most stressful part of the exercise was the paperwork. (initial shock at the master warning was right up there though.)

Pulled the red knob & the tow plane peeled off.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Bet you would have done the same thing if he had pulled his red knob.

Girls: Get your minds out of my gutter. I'm talking about the mixture control biggrin.gif

1) During a recurrent PPC PPC in Winnipeg one winter, left engine failed during last approach, lost oil pressure. TC Inspector said I had to do another ride.....he only liked simulated engine failures..... not real ones. He was just kidding and I had passed the ride but he said the look on my face was hilarious.

2) Another one over Hudson's Bay.....DC3 with the only source of cabin heat from the failed engine.....nearly froze to death before landing in Churchill. Next stop....the Churchill Legion!

3) C185 on floats over some remote part of Northern Ontario......found a lake at the last minute missing a rocky shore line by a few feet....never found out why it quit.

That's my three....hope that is all I see for real.

F-28 Low pressure turbine failure.

Destroyed engine, covered side of aircraft in oil, tailpipe full of holes, no damage to aircraft.

Continued to destination, got in 10 minutes early on one engine.

Bae-146 - Oil pump shaft sheer, loss of oil pressure. Engine shutdown.

Again, the dreaded 3 engine approach and landing.

Twice...

1- SW3: engine oil line ruptured on take-off.

2- L1011: compressor seal problems on #3 eng. on t/o. High vibration on both channels. Lost the oil. Shutdown.

CV580

Twice due to fire warnings, once was due to a seperation in the tailpipe section and once just a bad loop. Plane flies very nice on one engine.

Twice:

1/

In a C172 doing circuits with a student. At about 500 ft, engine began to run very rough and would only maintain about 60% power. Levelled off and turned downwind immediately with the option of joining a left base for the crossing runway if needed. As we turned final, it started to shudder and shake so we pulled it back to idle and glided to the runway. Made it about 1/2 way to the hangar when it totally gave up the ghost. Cause was a fractured magneto drive (common drive for both mags - stupid design)!

2/

In a PA23 (Aztec) on a very cold day. Switched tanks enroute and about 40 seconds later, left engine shut down. The fuel selector lever was not fully engaged (I suspected ice). After much fiddling, I got it engaged and after 3 attempts I was able to get the engine started. All this while turning to a diversionary airport (Sandusky I think).