I'm in the wrong business

Seeker

Rankin feeds his buddy, Daniel Duic, some insider information. Duic goes on to make 4.5 million dollars on illegal stock trades. Duic's fine? 1.9 million! That seems about right I guess, IF YOU'RE BRAIN-DEAD! Meanwhile, Rankin gets 6 months in jail. Maybe it's time we start electing judges since the ones we have now don't seem to be in touch with reality.

CBC

Duic's fine?  1.9 million!  That seems about right I guess, IF YOU'RE BRAIN-DEAD!  Meanwhile, Rankin gets 6 months in jail. 

First off, the judge didn't get asked his opinion regarding Duic because...

Duic, who was charged with 10 counts of insider trading, reached a tentative settlement with the securities commission's enforcement staff last year. He was fined $1.9 million and banned for life from trading securities. He then agreed to testify against Rankin.

That he only gave Rankin 6 months concurrent on 10 counts is ridiculous. I would love to read his decision. Anyone know how to find it? I find it difficult to discern the difference between insider trading and giving stock tips to someone else. Surely the profit will be split regardless of who actually makes the trades...?

As for the $1.9 million... it's probably all that's left over from the $4.5 million he (and his aliases) made from the tips.

ccairspace

Archived