Two new Embraer pilots....

Mitch Cronin

...I met this morning at the pass office... One from Jetsgo, the other from some chickenpoop little outfit in Quebec... He had less than 3000 hrs... looked to be about 20 years old. But you know, I think I could see in him (in them both, for that matter) at least a part of why they were hired: They were both very obviously thrilled to have been hired by AC.

While we were waiting we chatted a bit (heard an awful lot of "blah le blah blah spoi-lerr...blah blah la blah landing gear" sort of talk)... and I couldn't help but think of what a difference these two obviously would make to the general tone of not-quite-so-happy folks who've been around for a while... imagine a whole flock of them!

I'm guessing the hiring criteria may be not so mysterious after all.

Anyway, congrats to them, and all new AC employees! I hope the rest of their careers go well.

...and I couldn't help but think of what a difference these two obviously would make to the general tone of not-quite-so-happy folks who've been around for a while... imagine a whole flock of them!

Ahh, new guys! They are definitely a breath of fresh air. Too bad many that I know adopt the scorned attitude of some of the big complainers in our company. wink.gifsad.gif

...I met this morning at the pass office... One from Jetsgo, the other from some chickenpoop little outfit in Quebec... He had less than 3000 hrs... looked to be about 20 years old. But you know, I think I could see in him (in them both, for that matter) at least a part of why they were hired: They were both very obviously thrilled to have been hired by AC.

While we were waiting we chatted a bit (heard an awful lot of "blah le blah blah spoi-lerr...blah blah la blah landing gear" sort of talk)... and I couldn't help but think of what a difference these two obviously would make to the general tone of not-quite-so-happy folks who've been around for a while... imagine a whole flock of them!

I'm guessing the hiring criteria may be not so mysterious after all.

Anyway, congrats to them, and all new AC employees! I hope the rest of their careers go well.

Good story Mitch, nice to see new blood with enthusiasm, but the one burning question I have is:

How long did you have to wait at the pass office?

Mine needs renewing before month's end,and it's that special time when I need to give them my dog's father's uncle's date of birth and breed.

biggrin.gif Pain in the arse isn't it?

I got there at about 0645, thinking it opened at 0700... it really opens at 0730. Since I was 3rd in line, I was out of there by 0830. There were folks in line who told me many days the line is well along the sidewalk by 0730!

That was my first "security" update since 911... they now also want to know your parents, and your in-laws, port of entry and date of entry, if they were not born here! blink.gif In-laws, both deceased, one born in Poland and died in the early 60's, the other born in Czechoslovakia.... Those were tough questions!

I was there today too. The one question that threw me for a loop was my ex-wife's birth certificate number ohmy.gif . Luckily, we're still "friendly" and she was happily able to supply it. Otherwise............ icon_question.gif

But there was nobody in line ahead of me, so it didn't take too long. I guess that's just another benefit of living here in Calgary.

And I agree with Mitch. We've had a lot of new FA's come on line of late and they are, for the most part, a welcome breath of fresh air. Their youth and enthusiasm can't help but make you smile. I hope our customers appreciate it too.

Mitch to quote:

parents, and your in-laws, port of entry and date of entry, if they were not born here!

I too must visit the "office" in the very near future and needed entry points/dates of my immigrant parents.

Those dates and entry ports are indelibly etched in a corner not much used these days, they have , after all spent more than 50 years in Canada. They have not said it but my query must have twigged their memories of their first steps taken on North America!

I will copy the info, store it in my roll cab for future references.

Did you notice the question regarding personal travel to other worldly locals outside of North America?

RZ

Good story Mitch, nice to see new blood with enthusiasm, but the one burning question I have is:

How long did you have to wait at the pass office?

Mine needs renewing before month's end,and it's that special time when I need to give them my dog's father's uncle's date of birth and breed.

Good Morning CA

The only piece of advise I can give you is to do your pass in the first week of the month.

I renewed my AVOP and pass back in the spring. I did it on the fifth of the month, and when I went, I wrote the AVOP test at 10am, and there were only two of us doing it that morning.

After finishing the test, at approx 10:15, I went to the pass office and was processed and out the door before 11am.

It's all a matter of timing....... wink.gif

Iceman

Good Morning CA

The only piece of advise I can give you is to do your pass in the first week of the month.

I renewed my AVOP and pass back in the spring. I did it on the fifth of the month, and when I went, I wrote the AVOP test at 10am, and there were only two of us doing it that morning.

After finishing the test, at approx 10:15, I went to the pass office and was processed and out the door before 11am.

It's all a matter of timing....... wink.gif

Iceman

Thanks deicer,

I will head over Monday morning for opening, it's due to expire at the end of the month, so waiting for the beginning of Oct may upset some GTAA people (not such a bad thing but may interfere with my income stream biggrin.gif )

Cheers

CA

Not to pour fuel on the GTAA (Well okay, just few drops wink.gif ) but I renewed my YYC pass on a friday afternoon walk-in near 4:30, and was out in about 2 minutes, including the wait to be looked after.

Does YYC have pretty near 15,000 people working at the airport? ohmy.gif

Just a little difference in volume methinks wink.gif

Iceman

biggrin.gif Pain in the arse isn't it?

I got there at about 0645, thinking it opened at 0700... it really opens at 0730. Since I was 3rd in line, I was out of there by 0830. There were folks in line who told me many days the line is well along the sidewalk by 0730!

That was my first "security" update since 911... they now also want to know your parents, and your in-laws, port of entry and date of entry, if they were not born here! blink.gif In-laws, both deceased, one born in Poland and died in the early 60's, the other born in Czechoslovakia.... Those were tough questions!

I was there the other day, I was refused my renewal! The reason being, I was born and raised in Quebec, in my day you were issued a baptismal certificate, not a birth certificate, the pass office refused to accept it, even though it shows my birth date, parents, hospital blah blah blah. I had to do some research and found out that the Quebec will send me a Quebec birth certificate, it will take a few weeks to get it, but in the mean time my pass has expired.

I was there the other day, I was refused my renewal! The reason being, I was born and raised in Quebec, in my day you were issued a baptismal certificate, not a birth certificate, the pass office refused to accept it, even though it shows my birth date, parents, hospital blah blah blah. I had to do some research and found out that the Quebec will send me a Quebec birth certificate, it will take a few weeks to get it, but in the mean time my pass has expired.

I had the same problem with a passport renewel last year.

With a short letter from the company stating the urgency with which I required it, the Quebec Gov. was able to issue a birth certificate within 24 hrs.

Of course there was an additional fee as well.

I had the same problem with a passport renewel last year.

With a short letter from the company stating the urgency with which I required it, the Quebec Gov. was able to issue a birth certificate within 24 hrs.

Of course there was an additional fee as well.

Interesting, that you very much for that tid bit, i will pass it along to my manager.

all the usual.... plus:

-your birth certificate

-your spouse's birth certificate number

-your parent's date and place of birth

-your spouse's parent's date and place of birth

-if they were not born in canada, their port of entry and date of entry

That's all I recollect at the moment....

ahh yess... all of the names and maiden names of all of the above as well.

Two new Embraer pilots...

I wonder if they were behind me last night going into Toronto... Very humourous conversation with the arrival controller regarding the availability of runway 33...

"Is runway 33 available tonight?"

"No, winds 350 @ 6 Kts, have to put you on 6L, 05 is closed for maintenance."

"That's a pretty strong cross wind for us."

"First day on the airplane?"

Pause - "Yeah, it's our first day, request 33!"

Chuckle - "Sorry guys, 06L."

You had us laughing as we turned final, good try guys, I'll have to remember that one!

martini.gif

I hate filling out that long form every 5 years and as I was dutifully complaining about it to one of our admins just prior to my last renewal she provided me with this link.

Pass long form PDF

It is an interactive PDF file that you can save to your own computer and fill in by typing which for me is much quicker not to mention neater and more legible.

Remember if you make a mistake writing it out you cannot use whiteout, you have to start all over again.

There are a few little quirks on the form, both dates if I remember correctly, that do not align properly. I just left them blank and filled them in manually after printing. The only drawback is that you must print it on 81/2 x 14 paper so if you don't have some you may have to "borrow" some.

Archived