Satellite Radio

Seeker

Here's the CBC link:

satellite

Here are the parts that I find absolutely unbelievable:

"In an all-out lobbying war, guardians of Canadian culture are arguing that satellite radio threatens the domestic recording industry.....

And Liberal seats could be at stake in Quebec and Atlantic Canada if the issue is mishandled."

It's OK, apparently, to poor billions of dollars into a sponsorship toilet, the gun registry or some friend's hotel but if you allow somebody to make available a radio station that doesn't play Great Big Sea every hour you'll be voted out!! What an embarrasment. This article is total scam..nobody in Atlantic Canada or anywhere else in Canada, other than a few musicians, cares about Canadian content on a few radio stations. You want Canadian content - go to CBC.

seeker

Guest Starman

That's "Tres Gros Mer" in La Belle Province, SVP... blink.gif

What's the point in the Canadian licence anyway? You can get the satellite subscription in Canada right now with world content. Note to the politicians: it's a satellite, see... lots of channels with content of your choice and CD quality.

Whether the Canadian music industry requires the protection of content rules is highly debateable anyway. Canadian artists rank number 1 in the world by population as it is, and I doubt that much of that popularity has to do with Canadian content regs. If Canadian politicians doubt that Canadian artists can make it on the world stage without them, they should listen to English radio in Shanghai, or London for that matter. Lots of Canadian artists, most of whom now live elsewhere to escape Canadian tax laws because they made it in the big show.

Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Allanis Morissette, Leonard Cohen, Shania Twain, Nelly Furtado, Neil Young, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, Tal Bachman, Sarah Machlauchlin, Nickleback, Crash Test Dummies, Bare Naked Ladies, Rush, Anne Murray, Paul Anka, Corey Hart, Gino Vanelli etc, etc...

All these artists found the spotlight with talent and hard work that took them to the forefront of probably the deepest pool of popular musical talent in the world; Canada. There will be those who will argue that the pool is deep because of Canadian content regs, but I doubt it. The talent pool is deep because music is a great way to get through a tough winter and because we have many converging influences here.

I wish the talent pool in Ottawa was half as good...

Guest Starman

I don't know, but a friend of mine has XM and I doubt that he has a U.S. billing address.

...oh, and Dianna Krall called and she was really "Naughty Word" that she wasn't on my list, so yeah, her too, and that fast rising Michael Buble, and Jeff Healey, and Loverboy and on and on...

Guest Starman

They had one breakout hit didn't they? You know, the one with all the guitar and the drums and stuff that gave Mike Reno the down payment on his boat... cool.gif

...and who gave Joni Mitchell my phone number anyway; SHEESH! she ain't happy.

...and who gave Joni Mitchell my phone number anyway; SHEESH! she ain't happy.

I would've, if I'd been asked. ...I might give it to Bruce Cockburn too if he asks... Bill Henderson... Valdy... Kim Mitchell... (if I knew it.) tongue.gif

Guest Starman

Yeah Anne Murray is on the list, but Stompin' Tom etc. never broke out into international markets.

And Mitch, I forgot about Bruce Cockburn; I think he deserves to be there as well as Robbie Robertson. I did think of Kim Mitchell but I thought he was a bit borderline, kinda like Colin James, Roch Voisine, or Rita McNeil. Jan Arden is a borderline case as well, but she also deserves to sit on the fringe of that other great Canadian contribution to world entertainment; comedy.

Oscar Petersen and Glenn Gould are definitely on the list and who was that other guy from Toronto with a "Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style"?

Oh yeah... and I've sat in Starbucks in Shanghai listening to the Tragically Hip on the P.A. Blue Rodeo? ...is that a stretch?

Tom Cochrane? Yeah, I think so, although he just can't agree with Robbie Robertson on what life is... a highway? or a carnival? I dunno... blink.gif

The CRTC for once in it's life realizes there is a trend to satellite radio that will only grow. The market is split in North America into two camps XM and Sirus. 3 Canadian companies decide, that to be part of something big that's going to happen anyway, is better than being frozen out. The loser in the application process, CHUM and ASTRAL, start a campaign that since their technically inferior bid was rightfully turned down, Canadian Culture will be compromised.

They smartly play the French card, that Quebec will be done hard by, even though the Waters and Greenberg families who own these companies are as "pur laine" as they come. To counter this, the winning bidders up the French content, i.e.: 10 French language channels across Surus and XM Canada. So the opposing camp now turn their attention to how the Atlantic Provinces will be hard done by. I'm going barf. Why don't we have an Alberta station, all Ian Tyson, all the time. Of course the cabinet will send the decision back to the CRTC so the losers will be able to torpedo the process. The fact is, nobody cares except the Liberals and their lefty cultural media buddies. In poll after poll Canadians say they could care less. It's a pay for service. Ya want it, you pay 12.99 a month and you can have it. The car companies were about to roll out satellite radio in this model year, that may not happen. As for people who want the service they will just get the receivers down south. So we will be back to the days how grey market receivers threaten our culture, which would be a good argument if we had one..

Archived