Snowbirds... If not the Tutor...

Mitch Cronin

Guest rattler

The question that remains unanswered is "why do we need an aerobatic team?" Would not the money be better spent on basic equip. needs??? ph34r.gif

Rattler...

Why does a pretty lady need a beautiful dress?

Why does a nice car need shiney wheels?

Why does a country need a flag?

Why does a high school need a mascot?

I think that's the last question that needs asking. I don't see it as being about need. It's about pride, and rallying that pride... demonstrating the best of what we can do... putting on a show.

...and it's for all of us who absolutely love to see that kind of poetry in motion

If you are having trouble justifying the cost then think of it as money from the tourism advert budget. The Snowbirds likely bring more recognition of Canada than a poster with a Moose on it.

Guest rattler

Rattler...

Why does a pretty lady need a beautiful dress?

Why does a nice car need shiney wheels?

Why does a country need a flag?

Why does a high school need a mascot?

I think that's the last question that needs asking. I don't see it as being about need. It's about pride, and rallying that pride... demonstrating the best  of what we can do... putting on a show.

...and it's for all of us who absolutely love to see that kind of poetry in motion

Mitch, my pride in being a Canadian has absolutely nothing to do with us having a team of precision flyers. It has everything to do with what it means to be Canadian and how we are viewed by the rest of the world. IMO the presence or absence of a precision flying group is not part of the equation. I suspect most folks in the rest of the world do not know or care about the existance of the "Snowbirds" except those folks in the US who welcome the arrival of Canadian "Snowbirds" every fall .........

Mitch, my pride in being a Canadian has absolutely nothing to do with us having a team of precision flyers. It has everything to do with what it means to be Canadian and how we are viewed by the rest of the world. IMO the presence or absence of a precision flying group is not part of the equation.

Hi Rattler...

I agree with that. The Snowbirds are not the essential source of the pride ... or the object of the national pride... but they can serve as a focal point for that feeling, and for those of us who do feel it, they can be an awesome sight.

That's why I mentioned the flag... Seeing them do their routines, with such beautiful precision, all over the flippin' sky, is - in a way - like seeing a monstrous Canadian flag covering half the sky flying at 10,000 ft! It's pure shmultz in that context, but it's patriotism, and it feels good, and I think it's good for Canadians and Canada.

Not to mention ...the airplanes and pilots flying them would exist regardless of whether or not they flew as a demonstration team... The few bucks extra cost for the added training and flying is, overall, well worth it, imo. There's no shortage of other targets for complaint about tax revenue waste, including several that would be much more difficult to find an equal argument for benefit....

I say we buy them some better airplanes. cool.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest rattler
Hi Rattler...

I agree with that. The Snowbirds are not the essential source of the pride ... or the object of the national pride... but they can serve as a focal point for that feeling, and for those of us who do feel it, they can be an awesome sight.

That's why I mentioned the flag... Seeing them do their routines, with such beautiful precision, all over the flippin' sky, is - in a way - like seeing a monstrous Canadian flag covering half the sky flying at 10,000 ft! It's pure shmultz in that context, but it's patriotism, and it feels good, and I think it's good for Canadians and Canada.

Not to mention ...the airplanes and pilots flying them would exist regardless of whether or not they flew as a demonstration team... The few bucks extra cost for the added training and flying is, overall, well worth it, imo. There's no shortage of other targets for complaint about tax revenue waste, including several that would be much more difficult to find an equal argument for benefit....

I say we buy them some better airplanes. cool.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

As they always say Mitch, different strokes for different folks. For me the Snowbirds are nice but def. not necessary. A look at their 2005 sked shows that they are / have performed only in the US and Canada, perhaps due to limited funds. I suspect our other troops do much more for our image worldwide.

Anyway, I believe the $$$s spent on the Snowbirds would be better used on other items for the Canadian forces. Unlike others, and I don't include you in that group, I believe that every $$$$ spent to support our Armed Forces (lets put armed back into their title) is well spent. Now if we could only get the $$$$ amount up to a decent percentage of our GDP, I would be very happy.

Cheers

...while you're at it, you might as well get rid of the Musical Ride and those ridiculous red outfits the RCMP wear... rolleyes.gif

The Snowbirds are more thanjust a demonstration team. They are considered ambassadors for the Canadian Armed Forces. The work they do on the ground is more important than the flying they do in the air. I suspect that the snowbirds are responsible for more recruitment in the CAF than any other means.

Besides that they are still one of the best demonstration teams in existance, even with the outdated equipment. They are in hight demand on the airshow circuit each and every year for that reason.

Give 'em nicer machines and keep 'em flyin'

My $.02

B

If you have to ask "why do we need them", I'm sorry but you just wouldn't understand and the energy required to make you sort of understand would be exhausting.

As for new aircraft...no need! The Tutor is at about 50-60% of useful life on average and with the huge number in storage, the Snowbirds could operate for decades. If they do replace then be careful what you ask for.

Look at the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, what makes their shows so different from ours? If you can answer this and truly understand maneuverability then you may just agree that the Tutor is the right aircraft for the job.

What about the Hawk you may ask? It would be about as good as a formation of T-38's or F-5's. It would dramatically change the entire show and leave it less spectacular and on the verge of being boring. wink.gif

Guest Kilo Mike

"What about the Hawk you may ask? It would be about as good as a formation of T-38's or F-5's. It would dramatically change the entire show and leave it less spectacular and on the verge of being boring"

Have you ever seen the RAF's Red Arrows? I'd have to say that their show is 'anything' but boring. The Tutor is a fine a/c , but a hawk team would be awesome... IMO

Have you ever seen the RAF's Red Arrows? I'd have to say that their show is 'anything' but boring. The Tutor is a fine a/c , but a hawk team would be awesome... IMO

I'm just saying that the maneuverability of the Tutor combined with the relatively slow speed of the sequences provides a centre stage show throughout the performance. As you introduce faster aircraft the wait-time between passes increases. Yes I have seen the Red Arrows and their show is not as compacted towards centre stage as the Snowbirds. I think a 9-plane PC-9 team would be more entertaining than with the Hawk. IMHO wink.gif

The Tutor is boring! The team has always done some great flying demo's but, from an audience perspective teams such as Blue Angels & the T-Birds beat the snowbirds all to heck on stage simply because of the power that comes with their birds. With all due respect to the Snow Birds; I recall an east coast F-5 squadron (Bluenose?) that put on a show just prior to the Snow Birds back around 1980 in London. The non demo trained team beat the SB's hands down simply because of the ac. IMO our old old Hornets are the replacement answer.

Guest Starman

The other advantage of the Hawk is that it is a two seat aircraft. I understand that the snowbirds have always taken their maintenance staff with them, which reduces overall cost and increases the team bond. The Hawk would do the same thing.

Then maybe we could pick up the old Tutors on e-bay at a bargain price... smile.gif

DEFCON I disagree...I've watched all three teams perform and I think you get a much better show with the Snowbirds...they are able to bring more of their show 'front and centre', take less time getting set for the next formation, and you're able to see all of the performance...if you want to see the power and speed of the F-18 and F-16, watch their flight demos...but for true formation demonstration flying, the Snowbirds are hands down the winners in my books!

As for a replacement...I would assume either the Hawk or a CF-18 fleet would be the cheapest, and make the most sense...I'd be curious to see the economics of it...I'd expect that 'day-to-day' costs between the Tudors and the Hawks would be pretty similar...whether Bombardier would 'give' or 'loan' them some jets is a bit of a stretch I expect, though the government has certainly given Bombardier enough 'freebie' money in the past to pay for a few jets for our national demonstration team! 'Snowbirds, presented by Bombardier' maybe? Might make more sense then them sponsoring the scoring tower at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!

amraam

The other advantage of the Hawk is that it is a two seat aircraft. I understand that the snowbirds have always taken their maintenance staff with them, which reduces overall cost and increases the team bond. The Hawk would do the same thing.

Then maybe we could pick up the old Tutors on e-bay at a bargain price... smile.gif

They would make a great commuter aircraft but dont' have a great range without a tank. One of the things our pilots liked about them was the side by side seating. Made it a lot easier to communicate and see what each other is doing.

You are right Starman, there is a designated maintenance crew that travels with the team to all the shows. The majority of the maintenance personnel are left back home in Moose Jaw though.

The Tutors are a fairly easy and cheap to maintain aircraft. Combine that with the fact that they are easy to fly, readily available and fairly maneouverable and they make a good choice for an aerobatics team. An F18 team would cost considerably more to maintain and run. The maintenance on some of our older 18's ir rather time consuming and expensive. I can vouch for the fact that they spend a lot more time in the shop than any Tutor I have ever worked on, and are usually harder to fix in comparison

The larger more powerful jets such as F-18 and F-5, are much mroe impressive when they are used as demo flights showing off the capabilities of the aircraft. Seeing an F-18 doing a catwalk down the flight line is guaranteed to bring the crowd to it's feet.

Archived