WestJet begins charging for headsets

Guest rattler

Here is their post on the subject, are regular headsets indeed compatible?? One prong or two prong???

WestJet begins charging for headsets

June 24, 2005.

On June 24, 2005, WestJet will begin charging $1 per headset on all of its flights offering live satellite television. These headsets are available for sale at most Canadian airports served by WestJet.

WestJet’s live satellite television offers a selection of up to 24 television channels from Bell ExpressVu in every seatback on all of WestJet’s 737-700 aircraft, including news, sports, music, children's and leisure programming. The real-time inflight experience features individual adjustable seatback screens and an armrest control to change TV channels, brightness and volume levels.

Bring your own headsets

WestJet’s live satellite television system is compatible with most other electronic devices; therefore most commercial headsets available at electronics stores should work on WestJet flights.

Reuse your headsets the next time you fly

Furthermore, if you decide to purchase headsets from WestJet, we encourage you to take them with you after your flight for your own personal use, and remember to bring them with you when boarding your next WestJet flight!

Here is their post on the subject, are regular headsets indeed compatible?? One prong or two prong???

Any of the 1 prong type that you normally get with a personal audio device. Even bud type earphones will work.

June 24, 2005.

On June 24, 2005, WestJet will begin charging $1 per headset on all of its flights offering live satellite television. These headsets are available for sale at most Canadian airports served by WestJet

Well , it's about time. I'm sick of picking them up and throwing them out when grooming. One use--such a waste. Maybe human nature will kick in and our guests will carry them off for future use since they paid a whole buck...

Well , it's about time. I'm sick of picking them up and throwing them out when grooming. One use--such a waste. Maybe human nature will kick in and our guests will carry them off for future use since they paid a whole buck...

So where are the headsets being sold? At the regular check-in counter? If so, it kind of defeats the value of having kiosks... I don't think it's going to be worth the $1 for WS... This is trying to make the passenger conform to your needs rather than the other way around.

I can just see the commercial...

"This is Captain Clive, you can look out the window to the left and see blue, or you can look out the window to your right and see blue, or you can look straight ahead and watch our over 20 channels LiveTV."

"Captain Clive, this is Mark in Row 23. It's 24 channels... and I CAN'T WATCH ANY ONE OF THEM BECAUSE THERE ARE NO FREAKING HEADSETS!"

laugh.giflaugh.gif

So where are the headsets being sold? At the regular check-in counter? If so, it kind of defeats the value of having kiosks... I don't think it's going to be worth the $1 for WS... This is trying to make the passenger conform to your needs rather than the other way around.

"This is Captain Clive, you can look out the window to the left and see blue, or you can look out the window to your right and see blue, or you can look straight ahead and watch our over 20 channels LiveTV."

"Captain Clive, this is Mark in Row 23. It's 24 channels... and I CAN'T WATCH ANY ONE OF THEM BECAUSE THERE ARE NO FREAKING HEADSETS!"

laugh.gif  laugh.gif

So we are going to make a big deal of this are we?

Lots of airlines charge for headsets ...we are far from the first to do so.

Pretty thin.

Maybe we will do what hasnt been a mystery for many other airlines and simply sell them onboard.

Oh and by the way...Dagger it simply amazes me how you are a certified expert on everything. Can I get the name of the truck driving school you went to?

SB

Maybe we will do what hasnt been a mystery for many other airlines and simply sell them onboard.

Oh and by the way...Dagger it simply amazes me how you are a certified expert on everything. Can I get the name of the truck driving school you went to?

SB

You aren't selling on the planes. You are selling them at airports. I suppose that will be part of your pre-flight duties in the terminal. Selling headsets.

Dagger,

I don't work for Westjet. Occasionally when you put thought into your posts I enjoy reading them. These kind of posts however make you look like a child.

I'm truly sorry. Let me give you the thoughtful version. I think it's a questionable idea, even a dumb idea to sell the headsets on the ground instead of in the air. Are people expected to lineup for them? Or will there be a vending machine? And what about people who arrive at the deadline for their flight and have no time to buy a headset, or go on board not realizing they had to have a headset to watch TV, or get on board and realize they left their headset at home? It's not the $1 price, it's advertising the crap out of a new product and then inconveniencing some passengers who may wish to use it but don't have a headset.

I'm truly sorry. Let me give you the thoughtful version. I think it's a questionable idea, even a dumb idea to sell the headsets on the ground instead of in the air. Are people expected to lineup for them? Or will there be a vending machine? And what about people who arrive at the deadline for their flight and have no time to buy a headset, or go on board not realizing they had to have a headset to watch TV, or get on board and realize they left their headset at home? It's not the $1 price, it's advertising the crap out of a new product and then inconveniencing some passengers who may wish to use it but don't have a headset.

I will lend them the buck and give them a set, one of the many sets that we keep on board. Do you really think these things have not been thought of? Wow, you really hate this company. biggrin.gif

Dagger "The Troll" is back in fine form!

For someone who always ridicules/points out WJ's shortcomings so much, you sure OBSESS over WJ alot.

Don't lose any sleep, Mister Dagger, Uncle Milty will always be your knight in shining armour and sweep you away to safety!!!

laugh.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

I don't think it's going to be worth the $1 for WS... This is trying to make the passenger conform to your needs rather than the other way around.

Not if they get the spin right Mr. Dagger. The complete cost of paying for the disposal, recycling or reusing of plastics is going to confront the industry sooner or later. If WS focuses on the environmental issues, encouraging reuse and return, pointing out that the $1 goes toward management of the plastic disposal, then it may have a positive effect. And I see other airlines possibly folowing suit... wink.gif

I suppose in the same breath WS could mention their transition to more fuel efficient aircraft and lower maintenance (cleaning costs) leather seats and create a "We're trying hard to be green" aura, but advertising isn't my field, so I'll leave that to the spin doctors. biggrin.gif

ccairspace

I will lend them the buck and give them a set, one of the many sets that we keep on board. Do you really think these things have not been thought of? Wow, you really hate this company. biggrin.gif

If you're going to give them away anyway, why charge others - namely the ones who take the trouble to buy them.

Just to clear things up a bit. They will be available for sale at check-in, the gate, and the aircraft. Okay for you Guys? There will also be a better version (one you see in radio shack for 15.00) available for 3-5 dollars.

Cheers

This isn't about a money grab either. We've been approached and scolded by the very people who leave these headsets behind on our airplanes, then turn around and accuse us of not recycling them. So, by charging for them, the hope is that maybe they'll think twice before leaving them in the seat pockets at the end of the flight. Also, maybe more people will bring their own, higher quality headsets instead of using up our stock of cheap ones.

Hey Dagger, nice to see you forgot to take your lithium pills again... congrats. rolleyes.gif

Actually, Dag Jr, he would be able to WATCH the TV (he's not blind), but it would be difficult to HEAR the show without headsets. Now go and do your homework before mommy scolds you. Say Hi to your daddy for us! biggrin.gif

Actually, Dag Jr, he would be able to WATCH the TV (he's not blind), but it would be difficult to HEAR the show without headsets. Now go and do your homework before mommy scolds you. Say Hi to your daddy for us! biggrin.gif

Ah, the entire chorus Les Miserables... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Actually I think quite the contrary here at Wj we are the opposite of miserables....

its the bunch at AC that despite having a large number of really great people, are les miserables.

Dagger you just make me laugh you very jealous and insecure little man.

SB

Good for westjet. The headphones were crap quality and people left them scattered around the cabin like garbage when they got off. If people pay a buck they will keep them, just human nature.

I only fly WS as a last resort so this is a non-issue for me. Just for the record the quality of the cans AC gives out are just as bad. I carry a set of Sennhiser 457's which hi-lite how much distortion and noise the IFE systems really have. So maybe people who use the cheep hand out sets are better off.

one you see in radio shack

Flaps FYI tongue.gif

Circuit City buys Radio Shack

InterTAN, the parent company of Radio Shack, has been acquired by Virginia based Circuit City Stores, Inc.

Radio Shack locations across the country have until July 1st to re-brand all of its stores currently operated by InterTAN Canada Ltd., under license from Radio Shack Corporation, as The Source by Circuit City

Archived