make me gag

Guest V1

WS has a billboard in T1 it says 7 million passengers and only 8 complaints yet I know people who find them less than adaquate. I guess I know one of the eight.

This is a friend who lives in mexico and below is his expirence

"As usual, we had airline problems. I am beginning to think I am jinxed. West Jet is the only airline that flies from Toronto to Manzanillo, and even though their website claims they accommodate unaccompanied minors on direct domestic and international flights, this was a charter flight, and they wouldn't take them. We had to fly them into Puerto Vallarta, which meant we had to make a miserable 4 1/2 hour drive up to P.V. to get them, drive them back to Manzanillo, and then take them back to P.V. the following week. What a pain! The kids lost a whole day of their holiday because of West Jet's idiocy. Don't anyone use them."

Aint the airline business fun.

Well V1 your practically a genius....

Just curious have you ever tried to go to the WJ Website and book a flight to Mexico....hmmmm cant do it?

Ahh maybe thats cause we dont fly there.....!!!!!

Any service to and from MEXICO is actually a CHARTER probably a Transat charter and thus...the schedule, points of destination are all organized and arranged by the charter operator. Infact this is the same garbage that we argued about for a long time with regard to scuba gear.....take it up with the charter opperator....

Moral of the story.....your on a charter...and got a question ask the Charter company....they set the policies.!

Maybe you and your Mexican freind can go and learn some facts before you post a ridicoulus complaint.

As for the Sign havn't seen it, dont know much about it, But admit (8) is probably a little low.

SB

biggrin.gif

WS has a billboard in T1 it says 7 million passengers and only 8 complaints yet I know people who find them less than adaquate. I guess I know one of the eight.

This is a friend who lives in mexico and below is his expirence

"As usual, we had airline problems. I am beginning to think I am jinxed. West Jet is the only airline that flies from Toronto to Manzanillo, and even though their website claims they accommodate unaccompanied minors on direct domestic and international flights, this was a charter flight, and they wouldn't take them. We had to fly them into Puerto Vallarta, which meant we had to make a miserable 4 1/2 hour drive up to P.V. to get them, drive them back to Manzanillo, and then take them back to P.V. the following week. What a pain! The kids lost a whole day of their holiday because of West Jet's idiocy. Don't anyone use them."

Aint the airline business fun.

Well, I will take your friends experience at face value and say that I am very sorry to hear this. I am a little confused though, did your friend not check with WJ or the company that chartered the aircraft? I realise that some things can slip through the cracks but sending an unaccompanied minor on a 6 hour flight two countries over should be crystal clear in all aspects before going to the airport I think? I am also confused about the scenario, did your friend purchase the package and then find out? If this is the case have them contact WestJet's customer care department and see what can be done.

Here's the number(s) 1-877-WJ CARES (1-877-952-2737)

Good luck and sorry again.

Although I suspect that V1 should have known the difference between scheduled and chartered, most people equate the name on the side of the aircraft with any bad experience they have, so the reality is that although the money for charters is good, you hang your reputation on the line everytime the tour company screws the pooch sad.gif

Westjet's ad's pretty well hit the nail on the head.

The 600, 700, and 800 aircraft will define affordable service on many domestic and inter-national routes.

Good job WS.

Guest rattler

Caught one of the "new" ads on CTV news channel today and it featured a pilot telling the passengers about the "blue sky" on either side of the aircraft and then advising them that they should instead look ahead at the TV screen built into their seat and watch the more that 20 channels.

I can see problems with that ad, as there is no disclaimer that the TV in only avail on certain aircraft and joe public will be most upset when their aircraft is not so equipped...

Other than that, it was a great ad but perhaps should have been delayed until all Westjet aircraft had the live TV system or am I behind times..... are all aircraft now outfitted?????

And of course the Westjet folks have every right to be proud of their customer service record!

I can see problems with that ad, as there is no disclaimer that the TV in only avail on certain aircraft and joe public will be most upset when their aircraft is not so equipped...

Other than that, it was a great ad but perhaps should have been delayed until all Westjet aircraft had the live TV system or am I behind times..... are all aircraft now outfitted?????

And of course the Westjet folks have every right to be proud of their customer service record!

All of our 700 NG aircraft are equipped at this point in time. We are working on getting the 800s done at this time.

Actually, there is a disclaimer. You gotta look really quick though, it's in fine print on the bottom of the screen - something about "available on most flights".

I can see problems with that ad, as there is no disclaimer that the TV in only avail on certain aircraft and joe public will be most upset when their aircraft is not so equipped..

Hey Rattler, our 737-700's are doing probably well over 90% of our flying now (I wish I had an exact number for you, but I don't.. sorry) so it's not a problem on the majority of our routes. Our 737-800's are operating without LiveTV but hopefully the extra 2" of legroom are offsetting any disappointments any of our customers have.

The non-tv aircraft aren't that big of deal for the following reasons:

- the 200s are rapidly being removed from the fleet and replaced by 700s. Westjet is down to 12 200s and I don't think the remaining aircraft are flying more hours (could someone correct me if I am wrong). Clive is mentioning that the owned 200s are all sold and will be removed by October. The remaining four leased 200s will be gone by February 2006.

- 200 flying is primarily into cities where Westjet has owned the market for years. I'm thinking of places like YYC, YEG, YLW, YXX where people love Westjet without the TVs.

- 200 flying is always extremely short haul where the flight goes very quickly. Try doing YVR-YLW sometime where the FAs can barely get the apple and orange juice passed out before the seatbelt sign comes on. There isn't much time for TV.

- 200 flying is going up against Dash 8, and the market knows the difference between a real 737 and a tiny Dash 8. On another forum a frequent traveller rails against the "patented tarmac to tarmac" service of Jazz.

The 800s are a problem, good thing for PR that there are only 2 and the fleet will only grow to 5. The 800s break most of the advantages of the 200 fleet mentioned above. The biggest PR challenge could come in November/December when the 800s should be reporting for Charter duty. Hopefully the STC will be available by then.

The non-tv aircraft aren't that big of deal for the following reasons:

- the 200s are rapidly being removed from the fleet and replaced by 700s. Westjet is down to 12 200s and I don't think the remaining aircraft are flying more hours (could someone correct me if I am wrong). Clive is mentioning that the owned 200s are all sold and will be removed by October. The remaining four leased 200s will be gone by February 2006.

- 200 flying is primarily into cities where Westjet has owned the market for years. I'm thinking of places like YYC, YEG, YLW, YXX where people love Westjet without the TVs.

- 200 flying is always extremely short haul where the flight goes very quickly. Try doing YVR-YLW sometime where the FAs can barely get the apple and orange juice passed out before the seatbelt sign comes on. There isn't much time for TV.

- 200 flying is going up against Dash 8, and the market knows the difference between a real 737 and a tiny Dash 8. On another forum a frequent traveller rails against the "patented tarmac to tarmac" service of Jazz.

The 800s are a problem, good thing for PR that there are only 2 and the fleet will only grow to 5. The 800s break most of the advantages of the 200 fleet mentioned above. The biggest PR challenge could come in November/December when the 800s should be reporting for Charter duty. Hopefully the STC will be available by then.

The Dash-8's will soon be RJ's and Flight 94 for Westjet is Winnipeg to London and flight 107 is London to Winnipeg to Saskatoon to Edmonton I would not call those short flights.

The Dash-8's will soon be RJ's and Flight 94 for Westjet is Winnipeg to London and flight 107 is London to Winnipeg to Saskatoon to Edmonton I would not call those short flights.

The market has 15 years experience with the Dash 8. Transferring operations to the RJ will be immediately noticed by the Elite and Super Elite crowd (who don't fly Westjet), but the 1-2 times per year vacation traveller will take a lot longer to transfer (this is Westjet's bread and butter). Market perception is still that Jazz Air provides service in small, loud, and inconvenient aircraft.

What is the competition on YWG-YXU? First off you can't get there from here on AC without a transfer in YYZ and the most you will see is an RJ to YYZ and Dash 8 to YXU.

The CRJ-200s are not well liked by either infrequent or frequent travellers. About the only advantage over the Dash 8 is speed, and the new Q class gets rid of that problem. If the choice is between a Horizon Dash 8Q400 and their CRJ, I would take the Q400 for because it has more room. Offer me a 737 against the CRJ any day.

Is there any truth to the rumour that the new AC RJ's will not be coming with IFE? Just heard that the other day and was surprised by it.

The 50 seaters do not have IFE and will not have IFE installed. The 75 seaters will have IFE installed once the required regulatory approvals are obtained and the system is installed along with the Airbus narrowbody fleet.

The 50 seaters do not have IFE and will not have IFE installed. The 75 seaters will have IFE installed once the required regulatory approvals are obtained and the system is installed along with the Airbus narrowbody fleet.

Thanks.

In all fairness, how many London-Edmonton passengers are there? Most passengers will only be on the aircraft for one or two legs.

Hey Rattler, our 737-700's are doing probably well over 90% of our flying now (I wish I had an exact number for you, but I don't.. sorry) so it's not a problem on the majority of our routes. Our 737-800's are operating without LiveTV but hopefully the extra 2" of legroom are offsetting any disappointments any of our customers have.

I was surprised to read in La Presse that there is only one French-language channel, and it's Radio-Canada, not TVA, RDI or RDS. Right now, at 11:25am EDT, there is a cooking show on the air, a rather slow moving one at that. I'm sure that will help build market appeal with French Canadians. And no other languages but English?

The 800s are a problem, good thing for PR that there are only 2 and the fleet will only grow to 5. .

just a quick correction..

There are currently 3 -800's in our fleet; tails 801, 802, and 803.

Not sure when 804 is due for delivery.

just a quick correction..

There are currently 3 -800's in our fleet; tails 801, 802, and 803.

Not sure when 804 is due for delivery.

When did 803 arrive? Must still have the new airplane smell. cool.gif

Anybody have an accurate picture of how many aircraft Westjet has? I count 12 200s, 39 700s, and now 3 800s for a total of 52 aircraft.

Anybody have an accurate picture of how many aircraft Westjet has? I count 12 200s, 39 700s, and now 3 800s for a total of 52 aircraft.

I don't think we can get much more accurate than that!! tongue.gif

BTW, 805 and 806 are due for delivery by the end of the month. No further '800s for now.

I don't think we can get much more accurate than that!! tongue.gif

BTW, 805 and 806 are due for delivery by the end of the month. No further '800s for now.

Up definitely need to be a little more accurate. There are 54 aircraft. I keep getting confused about the 732 departures. Some people mention 52 aircraft in June and some 54. It appears that the 800s will replace the 200s 1:1.

Archived