AC Hiring Pt. 2

Jumpy

Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA) in a recent email to all members states that management has advised we will be hiring 600 pilots in the next 12 months and a course likely starting in july

Taken from another website....I am wondering why Air Canada would need to hire this many and where are they going to come from?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest prob30

I don't think AC will have trouble recruiting. I do think that many 704 operators are in for a big hurt though if those numbers are accurate. Pasco, CMA, Borek, Bearskin, Georgian, etc. Companies that size could potentially see 30-50% turnover this next 12-18 months alone.

I don't think AC will have trouble recruiting. I do think that many 704 operators are in for a big hurt though if those numbers are accurate. Pasco, CMA, Borek, Bearskin, Georgian, etc. Companies that size could potentially see 30-50% turnover this next 12-18 months alone.

Which opens the door for a few young whippersnappers, with big dreams eh... ?

I am wondering why Air Canada would need to hire this many and where are they going to come from?

When I saw that 600 number it raised my eyebrows just a wee bit. It seems to me that it would be physically impossible to process that many in 12 months when we can barely handle training for a fraction of that. Me thinks it was a typo. Any challenges??

An accurate number for the mainline for the followwing 12 mnth cycle is probably 160.

60 originally forecasted new hires with an additional 100 positions based on pilots on layoff declining the recall.

Them the facts

SB

TO ALL PILOTS:

The CMSC Review of Bid 05-01 has been completed. This review of all factors includes:

•Retirements up to and including April 30, 2006.

•Increase on the Embraer (EMJ) and reduction on the CL-65.

•The recall of all remaining Pilots on Furlough, and the potential to hire.

And,

CMSC Review 05-01

May 4th, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen:

CMSC Review 05-01 has been released for your consideration. The closing date and time are set for Monday, May 16th at 15:00 EST. The results should be released within 10 days after the closing date. A training plan will be issued within 60 days of the bid closure.

The CMSC strongly urges that each pilot review their SPB to ensure sufficient choices have been requested.

This bid reflects the following;

• 32 retirements up to and including April 30, 2006

• An increase in EMJ Captain and FO positions in Montreal and Toronto;

• Further reduction of the CL-65 (*see note) in YYZ;

• The recall of all remaining pilots on furlough;

The potential to hire pilots.

Both quotes less than 14 days old. No mention of 600 (or even 60).

Guest Kilo Mike

"Both quotes less than 14 days old. No mention of 600 (or even 60)."

Bingo !! Negotiations are happening re the 777 and suddenly we are supposed to hire 600 pilots? Give me a break. When eveybody is back from layoff and things are signed, only then will I 'start' to think we'll be hiring.

I can just see the mangement 'mantra' ... We really wanted to hire all those new pilots, but that mean ol' ACPA wouldn't cave like we wanted them to. If you want to have all these nice new pretty planes, then talk to your ACPA reps ... blah blah blah"

Lot's of controlled leaks to the hungry masses to work up a furor, then the ol' bait and switch.

The numbers to be hired will only be credible in an equipment bid... and even then the credibiltiy is suspect as crew planning can just create another bogus bid to nullify the gains once the end result is achieved.

Standing by to be surprised, though not holding my breath dry.gif

I got the call last week for an medical and file review. I was in the pool after being interviewed in 2000 and was shocked when the call came. They said the interviews were for a July course. After some consideration, I decided that I couldn't make the sacrifices necessary to go to Air Canada, both personal, family and financial. I'm sure that many are in the same boat. Good luck to all those that apply.

I decided that I couldn't make the sacrifices necessary to go to Air Canada, both personal, family and financial. I'm sure that many are in the same boat. Good luck to all those that apply.

Unfortunately the sacrifices required now will be even greater than those required in 2000.

Guest Kilo Mike

Evening Jumpy.

Sorry to hear the environment at AC isn't compatible to your present situation. The fact is the newhire job at AC isn't compatible for most of the layed off folks either. Most have turned down the chance to return as they have found better employment elsewhere, hence the need to start a new-hire course in July. Some may return when their seniority allows for a better slot, though the word is it won't be many that return ... blink.gif

It's sad really. Never before has AC had to deal with pilot's quiting, yet it's becoming an all to frequent reality. 'The' national carrier is no longer the be all and end all in aviation in Canada.

Your right about your assessment Dropzone..... it's absolutely pitiful.

If what I heard is true it's not just the Pilots, from what I hear about 30% of the Engineers recalled to YVR for the Delta contract declined the recall sad.gif

Evening Jumpy.

Sorry to hear the environment at AC isn't compatible to your present situation. The fact is the newhire job at AC isn't compatible for most of the layed off folks either. Most have turned down the chance to return as they have found better employment elsewhere, hence the need to start a new-hire course in July. Some may return when their seniority allows for a better slot, though the word is it won't be many that return ... blink.gif

It's sad really. Never before has AC had to deal with pilot's quiting, yet it's becoming an all to frequent reality. 'The' national carrier is no longer the be all and end all in aviation in Canada.

Your right about your assessment Dropzone..... it's absolutely pitiful.

KM,

Most of the people that are not returning to service are simply deferring the recall due to commitments entered elsewhere. Most of the people that I know in this situation do intend on eventually coming back when they fulfill their contracts so I don't think it is fair to say that they are "turning down the chance to return".

Our careers, pensions, working conditions and pay have all taken a BIG hit. The age when you breakeven in all of this has steadily increased to the point where you have to ask yourself (especially if you are older than 30).... Is it worth all the sacrifices? Increasingly the answer for those that really think it through is NO.....unfortunately that is the reality.

Rookie,

Large Aeroplane time may help, may not. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I think the performance and sophistication of the A/C you fly now may be more important than the weight. The nature of the work you do may be more important too. How do you fit in, present yourself, how did the last guy from your company work out there? etc. Having said that, the people you know and your timing are infinitely more important than any of that in this business. I just know that when I got large A/C command time, suddenly it was no big deal and everybody and his dog had it too. It really never helped me.

P.S. Take off and Landing performance in "Fly The Wing" is good stuff for prep work.

Possible source of the '600' rumour -

TORONTO LEC NEWSLETTER 2005 #10

May 13th, 2005

FURLOUGHS, RECALLS AND HIRING

There are still 79 pilots on furlough.

The Company has advised that they expect to have offered all remaining furlough pilots the ability to recall within the next few months. Your representatives have been pressing hard for the Company to live up to the verbal (and in some cases written) commitments to the furloughed pilots to grant a LOA at the time of recall to fulfill commitments they made to their current employers. While progress has been made, we still have no final agreement from the Company on this issue and the Recall Protocol remains incomplete.

It should also be noted that Company officials have indicated to us that we will likely be hiring 600 pilots in the next year and will likely run a new hire course as early as July.

Archived