AC Hiring soon!

Guest WF9F

Actually CPDude, times are not too bad. Both you and V1 make assumptions that I and all "junior" AC pilots have these wild expectations and are constantly complaining about doing time, not having a full pension etc etc. Although this industry has not shaped up the way many have expected, that is not the problem. It is guys like V1 who is a dinosaur and believes in many more ways than I or "we" do, that because they have been there since whenever that they are entitled to everything and the hell with the rest.

The unfortunate reality for them is that they have no concept of what is really happening out there. Although I hope this never comes to pass, the "new reality" for guys like V1 will be happening not now, maybe not in two years but certainly in his retirement stage. If anyone thinks that Air Canada will be sheltered from what is happening south of the border or that in perhaps ten years from now this so called group of whiners, will be willing to sacrifice alot just to "save" the pension plan of a group of retirees like V1, they got another thing coming.

As for CX, I am happy for you. It sounds like a great gig, especially for the over 40 crowd. It certainly seems like things are booming over there, and a stable CX in a stable industry is good for all n'est pas?

How do you find the commuting by the way? Or do you live there? Is CX fairly flexible with the pilots and commuting?

Ciao

How do you find the commuting by the way? Or do you live there? Is CX fairly flexible with the pilots and commuting?

Understand your frustration.

As for commuting, I commute to LAX and although commuting sucks, it has not been that bad. CX does not care where you live and how you commute. They just expect you to be there. If you attempt to arrive at your operating base 8-12 hours early then you should not have a problem if your bumped from a flight or two. If your not there for your duty, thats strike one and in CX's ball park, your out on two more times than not. wink.gif

A person's career with Air Canada will ultimately be defined by timing more than any other factor.

Air Canada has traditionally hired in cycles. If you are lucky enough to be hired at the beinning of a wave, you will obviously end up with pilots behind you which bodes well for all things governed by seniority, which at Air Canada, is EVERYTHING.

I agree with V1 though. If you are over 35 and looking at Air Canada as your next move, you had better come to grips with what your career will look like.

I joined Air Canada at 39, fully knowing that I would NEVER be a wide body Captain prior to retirement. This was not an issue for me and I justified joining AC that late in life as I felt that I would still have a good "last 5 years" as a 320 Captain or 340 FO.

The landscape changed dramatically after 9-11 and virtually all of us had our carefully laid career plans dashed or altered significantly.

I was lucky enough to join Cathay 1 year ago. Without a doubt, this was the most fortunate break of my career.

As for the original subject, Air Canada will be hiring soon. Good news of course for those that have hoped to make this move. The bad news is that a career with our flag carrier is barely a shadow of what it used to be.

Guest directlaw

I have to disagree

All those 777's (they are not parking the 340's right away)

Cargo repatriated in 2006

35 190's not yet bid on. (yes some 320's are leaving but the fleet plan shows less and less of leaving, every time it is published as 767's are reallocated overseas)

1100 retirements in the next 10 years.

Do the math.

Yes things have sucked for the last 5 years. This industry is cyclical as everyone knows.

Assuming AC does well and shows a profit the first people hired will, in my opinion, have a great career.

Even a 40 year old (if he is the door early in the hiring). No he won't get a full pension and no he likely won't be a widebody capt.

Just my opinion

That pretty well applies to your job, too.

Of course it would affect CX but the thread is now discussing the validity of a 35+ year old joining AC. Ya gotta keep up with the thread man. Don't rely on the thread title! biggrin.gif

Archived