AC Hiring soon!

Guest WF9F

Guest WF9F

Have heard AC may have a course as early as July.All hires are coming from the pool. Any guys here have some info they would like to share?

Have heard AC may have a course as early as July.All hires are coming from the pool. Any guys here have some info they would like to share?

I thought it was mentioned that the current "pool" members would be given consideration and that hiring would not be just from the pool at this time.

I heard also that up to 600 pilot medicals can be expected before the end of the year.

Some good news for a change.

Some good news for a change.

You can take this any way you want but for me after 20+ years of flying airplanes in the airline business, if I could have known at 21 what I know now I would have picked a different career.

You can take this any way you want but for me after 20+ years of flying airplanes in the airline business, if I could have known at 21 what I know now I would have picked a different career.

Not me!...23 years and counting. wink.gif

Nor I - (30 years of flying, 27 commercially).

I might have wound up selling vacuum cleaners for a living. That would have sucked... tongue.gif

It's nice that you still love it as I once did, however for me financially it has been a mistake. It took me almost 10 years to get back to the salary I gave up when I started. blink.gifblink.gif

It's nice that you still love it as I once did, however for me financially it has been a mistake. It took me almost 10 years to get back to the salary I gave up when I started. blink.gifblink.gif

If your still in YYC and work for WS, you could double your salary and stay in YYC. D/E F/O with CX. We have several pilots living in YYC...it works for them! wink.gif

If your still in YYC and work for WS, you could double your salary and stay in YYC. D/E F/O with CX. We have several pilots living in YYC...it works for them! wink.gif

Unfortunately it is too late for me having made that choice a looooong time ago. When you have a young family it is very difficult to gamble like that when you only have 15 years to go.

Word to the wise.

I sure hope that any of you thinking of applying to AC give serious consideration to the fact that for anyone over35 it may not be the dream job that it was when they hired 25 yolds. We have many here now who are very discontent because they expected to make a quality career after 40 only to find that it just isnt set up for that.

They are now in our midst grumbling and rather dissatified.

A new hire , and there is no extra benifts for old guys can expect to earn 3500/mo increasing to 7300/mo in 12 yes thats TWELVE years and expect about 15-20 years to a left seat where you can start at about 9000/mo.. If you are 25 that would be pretty cool , if you are 40 I think selling vaccums might be better.

I really wonder why guys much over about 35 even apply to AC

Cpdude,

Good for you that you are with Cathay but why are you always trying to sell it on everyone. Between this forum and the pprune forum it is starting to get old. Do you work in the recruitment department?

Guest prob30

Hey V1 are you serious re: upgrade time at AC? With 1/3 of your pilots retiring within 10 yrs, plus modest expansion wouldn't 8-10 yrs seem a bit more accurate? Just wondering.

Cpdude,

Good for you that you are with Cathay but why are you always trying to sell it on everyone. Between this forum and the pprune forum it is starting to get old. Do you work in the recruitment department?

MAYDAY,

Because I like to help people that's why. Did you read what V1 wrote? I have seen many 40+ pilots join as a Freighter F/O, living anywhere in Canada and making 8000+ to start. Yes...to start! Within 3 years you will be over 10K plus 15.5% on top of that. Should I not suggest this option to fellow Canadians? It's a much better option for a 40+ guy than AC, WS or anywhere else in Canada. Lastly, sorry I forgot, this sight is only for AC and WS folks! tongue.gif

Dozerboy, is prob just exactly what I am talking about. A guy hired at 40 or so assigned an RP job in the Position Group pay rate needing to invest 10-12 years into an AC career to get good results but is bitter and twisted about it.

Theyll never max out their pensions, never get promoted, never achieve top pay rates so they stir the kind of discontent displayed in his above post.

My word to the wise is if you are older, think carefully about what you wish for, as you can see by dozerboy its not a happy choice for many older guys.

We have that type in our airline as well. Never content and always complaining. I'm sure the outlook was fairly clear when dozerboy joined AC but those types always ignore the signs then complain about them later. I saw the signs 10 years ago when I turned down AC and moved to CX. At my age and AC's outlook I was convinced I would never see the left seat of any serious sized jet. We all make choices in life but the key is to learn and live with them not complain about them. wink.gif

cpdude,

It is not about which one is better. In this particular post people are talking about hiring at AC and I just think it is a bit lame to hijack the thread into a CX vs AC debate. Leave that to the post on Pprune or start another one on here if you really must. Now that we have already strayed way off topic, I will admit that I think CX is a better option than AC at this point but we all know how fast things can change in this business.

You are right. Threads do get hijacked here all the time. It would sure be a lot easier to follow the forum if people did not do that as much. Who am I to say what you can say? Just another opinionated poster putting my 2 cents on the table.

Cheers

"Dozerboy, is prob just exactly what I am talking about. A guy hired at 40 or so assigned an RP job in the Position Group pay rate needing to invest 10-12 years into an AC career to get good results but is bitter and twisted about it.

Theyll never max out their pensions, never get promoted, never achieve top pay rates so they stir the kind of discontent displayed in his above post.

My word to the wise is if you are older, think carefully about what you wish for, as you can see by dozerboy its not a happy choice for many older guys."

V1, interesting thesis...but WRONG Sherlock. Without a doubt, you are one of the most arrogant individuals that has ever written on this forum. You know the old jokes about the guy getting married and his whole family being either pregnant, in jail etc. and "Do I tell her about my brother who is the Air Canada pilot?" and the one about the Air Canada pilot who thinks that he is God, these must be written about you.

My dear OLD and hopefully soon to be retired V1, your disdain for anyone at Air Canada with a differing opinon than your own is painfully obvious. Tell me, do you let your first officers and relief pilots touch any of the big bad buttons, or are you the one man show type of Super Captain?

Archived