Canada's Military...Whats left?

st27

Its a lousy day in Eastern Ont so I'll try to stimulate some non-partisan red/blue/green debate.Here goes..A letter was written in the National Post Sat. 23 by a retired officer who was correcting the gov't on their assets. I knew our army had Leopard tanks purchased some 30 years ago.What I did not know was that, according to this man, we just spent $200 odd million to modernize them and now they are withdrawn from service and parked in a field!!This political planning goes way back,I think starting with the Bonaventure.and more recently, the F-5's, the Cosmos and probably alot more that I'm not familiar with.My point is...What exactly do we have left???I'm surprised when I see "modern" aircraft used as gate quardians like the Challenger in YWG or F18s in museums YTR.The T-Birds are now gone and I think we only have a handful of Buffalos [would that be a herd??] on the west coast.What is the status of the CP140 Aurora/Arcturus??? Anybody... ohmy.gif

There are no F-18s in the RCAF museum here in Trenton. 8 wing has the A310s, C-130's and CH149's. The Wing is primarily involved in heavy transport and SAR and does not provide any "frontline defense" type aircraft.

The majority of Canadians seldom think about the CF, unless they are directly affected. The acqusition of modern equipment has always been a thorn in the side of those on the "line". Those that make the final decisions about equipment have been so far removed from the operational side that they would not know a "strapped down 3 ring laser gyro" from a bucket of prop wash.

Just two examples.... figures from some friends who apparently know what goes on.

When the CF bought the Musketeer they had a choice of 2 "off the rack" colors......red or blue. The individual who made the final decision trained on Chipmunks, back in the 60's, which were yellow. DND bought yellow "muskets" at an additional $3500.00 per machine.

The Tutor could have been fitted with internal plumbing for jugs but the individual that made the decision felt that , as a trainer, the Tutor would not go outside the limits of the MFA at the base they were located. Plumbing could have been done for $8000.00 per machine at the outset. The cost to retrofit is $80,000.00 per machine.

However, given the small budget and some of the questionable actions by MPs as well as our own senior brass, I have nothing but respect for all the troops, no matter what arm they serve in, for never have so many done so much with so little.

Per Ardua ad Astra

Hi Kip .. the aircraft I was referring to was an f18 parked in the weeds just east of the museum and beside some other a/c, one of which was a Buffalo. These were not part of the static display.

What I would like to know is how many are flyable and on strength.Since it is a gov't website, I am a little suspicious.ie. cc-130 / quantity 32 - what exactly does this mean..its been reported in the media that only about 12-13 are airworthy. As for the f-18, we are supposed to have 120, of which 104 are operational.Again, I've read conflicting statements in the press, indicating only about 80 are operational due cannabalization,retirements etc.

Archived