RAF Fighter pilot hits lamp post @ 600 mph

Guest Boeing guy

Guest Boeing guy

Top Gun hits lamppost

By JOHN KAY

Chief Reporter

AN RAF Top Gun pilot was facing the high jump last night — for flying so low he hit a lamppost.

The ace clipped the airbase light at 54ft with a wing tip on his Jaguar attack jet while doing 600mph.

He wrestled control of the crippled single-seater and headed straight out to sea from the coastal base in Cyprus.

Ground crews went into a full-scale emergency — but the pilot swooped round over the Med and headed back to base before slamming the plane on a runway.

RAF police immediately impounded the £25million Jaguar and the ace was grounded pending an investigation.

He faces an official carpeting and court martial, which could cost him his wings.

The Top Gun from RAF Coltishall, Norfolk, decided on a low-flying celebration run after completing a week’s hard training on bombing ranges near the base at Akrotiri.

He was cleared by the control tower for the pass, but ordered NOT to go below 200 feet.

The jet reached 500ft over the sea before turning for the run.

But ground crew were horrified as it just kept getting lower and lower as it hit 600mph — before clipping the light stanchion on the edge of the plane parking area.

The collision ripped off the left wing tip containing navigational lighting and wiring. Repairs could cost £2million.

Investigating officers found the damage to the post was exactly 54ft above ground level.

An RAF source said: “It is traditional to do a farewell ‘beat up’ of an airfield when you leave after a detachment.

“The usual form is for the pilot to fly low over the base and waggle his wings.

“If this Top Gun had not actually hit the light he would have got off with a severe rollocking.

“As it is, he’s lucky to be alive. And he’ll be lucky to keep his wings if he is convicted at a court martial.”

Another source said: “There is a public road to the beach just a mile away.

“The Jaguar could easily have flipped over and exploded, scattering burning fuel for hundreds of yards.”

Last night the Ministry of Defence confirmed: “There is an ongoing investigation into the incident.”

Guest fingertrouble

Where did you find this? I used to be an engineer on a Jaguar Sqn at Coltishall for 11 years and I'd be interested to find out if I know the numbskull!!!

Guest Starman

He'll probably be court marshalled for flying without a nav light... smile.gif

Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy flying a Cherokee who was violated for low flying by the FAA after he reported damage to the leading edge from hitting a surf board! cool.gif (true...)

Guest BigSkyGuy

Wow, 54 ft. is awfully high. I remember the gold ole days flying green helos when we would get the intial airspace briefing and ordered not to fly above 50ft for the next 2 months! biggrin.gif

Guest fingertrouble

Is Mike Rondot still there?  smile.gif

Mike left the RAF shortly after we returned from the 1st Gulf War. When I left England in 1997, he owned his own Art Gallery. He is an amazing aviation artist, have you seen any of his work?

Guest fingertrouble

Wow, 54 ft. is awfully high. I remember the gold ole days flying green helos when we would get the intial airspace briefing and ordered not to fly above 50ft for the next 2 months!    biggrin.gif

Somehow I don't think those green helos were ever doing between 300-450 kts at 50 feet though....not much time to correct a mistake when you sneeze!

Archived