Sign in to follow this  
Guest PowerAdmin

Reactions to Forum Format change

Do you prefer this format to the old  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer this format to the old

• Yes I prefer this style.
    • I'm not sure yet.
    • I will when all the bugs are worked out and the features enabled.
    • No, but the AEF contributors will keep me coming back in any case.

Guest PowerAdmin

Not that going back to the old format is a possibility, as bandwidth usage created the need for the change, but it would be nice to get an idea of the reactions?

Guest mmcrae

biggrin.gif Well done indeed. In particular I like the way new replies are shown at the top of the display so we no longer have to scroll down to see what is new.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Guest Charterdude

Once I figure out how the site works...I'm sure that it will be better. Not sure how to differentiate between posts that I've already read. Any suggestions or am I just missing something here?

Well done! smile.gif

Guest Ray Darr

Here we sit on the end of the runway, smoke belching from #1, #2 stuck in reverse, F/A's buzzing with probs in the back, ATC breathing down our neck...three on final....we're pressing a duty-time limitation....the MEL has us all confused...and NOW THIS??

I'm sitting here madly flipping the pages on the instruction manual frantically trying all these new buttons. huh.gif

At least the belts are fastened. tongue.gif

Once I figure the splendor ahead of us all here I shall be most impressed.

Nice work, admins.

biggrin.gif

~Ray Darr

In particular I like the way new replies are shown at the top of the display so we no longer have to scroll down to see what is new.

lemme guess... you haven't bought a new mouse since they came out with the little scroll wheel thingy right? wink.gif

Guest mmcrae
tongue.gif On the contrary, cordless wheel mouse that eats batteries rather than cheese.

Ahhhh... [insert thumb up here]

sad.gif I'm with you on batteries though... cordless mouse and keyboard, and the mouse uses about twice as many batteries as the keyboard does! Hungry little blighters wot?

Ya gotta have balls...That's what I have ...a LOGiTech TracKBall. The only way to go !!!

True story....each morning in CP Flt Ops in CP the staff would ensure they were all fired up and ready for us daredevils. One morning we had a replacement girl firing up the computers and I was in for an early launch and saw her staring at a screen, looking rather perplexed.. I asked what the problem was and she said the "mouse was no good" sad.gif

I asked for an explanation and she showed me.

She had run the mouse to edge of the "mousepad" and the cursor wasn't where she wanted it so she deduced that the "mouse was broken" mad.gif

I picked up the mouse and replaced it on the top of the mouse pad and ran the cursor where she wanted it and she was truly amazed!!!

Said she didn't know you could do that>>>>

I often wondered if she had a computer at home......just sittin' there gathering dust biggrin.gif

I really like the format except I can't figure out if there is a way to respond to a specific poster instead of the whole thread blink.gifohmy.gifsad.giftongue.gif

The smilies are cool though!!

I really like the format except I can't figure out if there is a way to respond to a specific poster instead of the whole thread blink.gifohmy.gifsad.giftongue.gif

The smilies are cool though!!

This is done via a quote... I think. Testing ohmy.gif

This is done via a quote... I think. Testing

Correctomundo !!!!!

PS...when "testing" is done will many more features be "enabled" ie: IMG/Avators etc??

Edited by Kip Powick

Guest Jammed Balls

Nice format, just a matter of getting used to it. I suspect that this format will be a little easier on the forum bandwidth as well.

~Balls

I wish I could say I like the change however, I'm probably somewhat resistant to change and I'll get used to the new format in time.

The last version of the Forum seemed to have a life to it that invited comment. When JW closed his Forum down the present admin initially competed for membership with another that used a format similar to the present. The old was the clear favorite?

I have to admit I had a preference for the old format, and I remember the "competition" you refer to (although there really was no contest)... But in the end, I'm convinced it's the folks who contribute that keep me coming back.

We've seen some fine contributors come and go over time... and most haven't gone far when they "go".... Every now and again, those folks who've made this a place worth sticking with remind us why it is we've stuck with it..... no matter what it looks like.

Or so sez I ... at the moment.... cool.gifph34r.gifwacko.gifwink.gif

I will miss the news clips.

I always entered via the home page to see the last 5 or so clips from the world of aviation.

I like the new format, but I wonder if there's a way to change the look for it to resemble the old forum? I liked being able to respond to an individual post rather than the topic, with a quote refering to that post.

I get the feeling that people seem to be liking the new 'clickable smilies'. Eh Mitch? tongue.gif

Inchman...

Those news clips still exist on the home page at www.aeforum.net . ...you can still enter through that page. (i just verified that)

Yessir CanadaEH... I do like the clickable's dry.gif, but I miss that green toothy grin guy. I also liked the response format of old... but this isn't so bad. All it takes is to put the name of who you're responding to at the top of your post and then it's understood.

I like the overall format, pretty well standard as forums go these days. What I don't like is the display colours, specifically the borders around each post, they are to dark and distract from the actual text. The text should stand out more than the forum borders.

I notice that when you type your reply in the reply box it displays the thread below without these borders. If the forum could be displayed this way it would make it a lot less distracting and much easier to read.

MC

Moderate Chop... I found changing the entire appearance is possible through "My Controls" (near the top of the page), and then "edit skins"... then select a different "skin"... there are 2 that look very similar to the default, and at least one (that I'm now using) that is quite different ... text does stand out nicely.

This is weird...I didn't have to log on after logging on only once today. Have gone away from the forum for a couple of hours, all windows, including IE closed, and when I opened IE and went to my bookmark,I did not have to log on. Yesterday, each time I came to the board I had to relog on...hmmmmmmmmm.

Any ideas??? unsure.gif

Guest mmcrae

Same thing happened to me and for the first time since the forum became active, I am no longer getting kicked off and having to sign back in.

I think we can put it up to lots of hard work by our hosts along with a limited rest period. I would bet they went well over the "normal" duty day biggrin.gif

Re why you are getting a auto sign in Kip, you selected it on the sign in screen (remember me).

Cheers Malcolm

changing the entire appearance is possible through "My Controls" (near the top of the page), and then "edit skins"...

Thanks Mitch, yes that helps. I know who to call if I have any more snags.

Chop's