Air Canada is NOT DEAD!

It's ALIVE!

I think people are about to find out that there is a huge airline in this country that is not about to roll over and die. There are 25000? odd employees that are ready, willing, and able to do what ever it takes.

It would appear to me that we now have every union on board that we need to carry on. The rest have a choice; "Get onboard, or get out of the way!". We can and will leave you behind. Scheduled departure is April 15 2004.

Tony!

Guest LeadYYZ

All the Bandages in the world won't stop the bleeding.

It may not be dead but it's on life support.

We will need the KY but you better stock up now its gonna be in short supply very soon!!!

Guest dwb yyc

Dave Ritchie said on ROB TV, that there is no deal and the person from AC has no right to make a deal without him. So the deal is dead.

I wouldn't want to be Ritchie here, because AC believes there is a legal deal and Farley will, too. In fact, Farley may chose to recognize it as legal and force the IAM to go to appeal court, where they can take a number behind the GTAA.

Ritchie is a classic..you don't here from him in months then all of a sudden its no deal.Well since when do we need him anyways.Looks like he was left out of the loop and now he's sour.Hmm sorta like what he does with the membership.Go back to your hole and take Pam and Buzz with you.We can manage without you.Trust me.

Let's put it this way. If I were Dave Ritchie, I wouldn't want to be the only thing standing in the way of AC's restructuring going through. I don't think the politicians would give Air Canada a dime, but there would be some good politics in siding with employees over union Fat Cats.

And Ritchie certainly qualifies.

Bloomberg report:

``Mr. Jallet has no authority to act on our behalf to deal with the pensions,'' said Ritchie, whose union has 91 locals in Canada. ``There is no agreement. There will be no vote.''

Seems the news hasn't reached everyone's ears yet.

Flyboy;

Real men prefer it dry.

To coin a phrase; most of us at AC. and Jazz could take a large pay cut and still be working at 200% of the industry average.

My pension is already DC. it is superior to almost every other employers (industry average). We could take a hell of a beating and still be way better off than industry average.

Do you think we don't know it? Do you think that we will sit back and watch AC. die with out a fight?

Any way you seem to have missed the point, I am trying to suggest that if you have pilots, mechanics, and ground handlers the rest of you can be replaced if you would like!

Just trying to agitate the dung.

Tony!

Guest directlaw

ROMA LUCIW , Globe and Mail Update

TORONTO — Air Canada's largest union denied Wednesday that it has reached an agreement with Air Canada over pensions, contradicting earlier statements from members of the union that a key issue with the power to derail the airline's restructuring had been resolved.

“There is no deal and Air Canada knows it,” said Dave Ritchie, general vice-president for Canada of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Earlier in the day, Jean Jallet, national president of district lodge 140 of the IAMAW, said in a statement that the union and airline had come to a consensus. “This agreement provides all our members with the right to choose the pension program that's best for them according to their personal circumstances.”

The agreement – which would give current members of the Machinists union a choice between staying in a defined-benefit plan and switching to a defined-contribution plan – appeared to shatter a united front among the airline's unions. Previously, they had all opposed changes to their pension plans.

The IAM, represents about 11,000 mainline mechanics and baggage handlers.

But Mr. Ritchie said Wednesday that the union's position with Air Canada was unchanged and will remain that way.

“Our lawyers advised Air Canada and its investors by letter months ago that the only authorized bargaining on the pension issues for IAM Air Canada workers will be done by this office. No one else is authorized to bargain on pension issues with Air Canada on behalf of our members,” he said. “Our members' pensions are not negotiable.”

Trinity Time Investments, the proposed new controlling shareholder in Air Canada, has insisted on pension changes that shift future financial risk away from the company and on to the employees.

The agreement with the Machinists is the same deal Trinity presented earlier to non-union employees. Headed by Hong Kong businessman Victor Li, Trinity has threatened to walk away with its $650-million investment if the pension changes are not made.

Guest Lancaster

Is a company that does not pay its bills alive? Is a company that owes Candians over 12Biliion dollars alive. Is a company that simply thinks it can continue on as if nothing is wrong with screwing hard working employees from other corporations out of perhaps the ability to seek wage increases because of AC's failure to pay the corporations that employ them subsequently, burdening their books with bad debt alive? If you can answer "YES" to any of these questions then you have one huge problem with the term "gainful employment".

Wow, this union stuff is getting kinda complicated.

A local that represents all the members at one employer is being overturned by the national head office. When does this EVER happen???

Just think, if Mr. Ritchie wins he can pay all the lost wages that result from his "National Interests" by way of a DFR.

D F R...pretty scary stuff folks!

GTFA

Archived