Mr. H.

Let me tell you about my grade four teacher!

You know him as Don Hudson! It was in a time long ago. (or so it seems) Picture a big old school house, " THE OLD BUILDING" , a young teacher with a different slant on things.(beard, sandals, etc.) My memory isn't perfect, we are talking about 1971?, but I can still hear, 60 or so, 8-9 year olds playing ukuleles on a giant old stair case. "Bang Bang Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon her head"...

A parent-teacher interview could very easly involve a pool table!, with your teacher speaking fluent french, with your french parents!

Of course every kid in the school wanted to be in Mr. H's class! He was by far the coolest!

Talk of airplanes and flying, was common, seems to have had a lot of influence on me!

Everyone was heart broken when they found out their favorite teacher was quitting to persue a different career. For years we would get reports of his advancement, people would ask, "has anyone heard from him?". Even to this day I still get people asking!

Sorry I took so long to introduce myself, but I'm just a little nervous that this note is going to come back all covered in red marks!

HI Mr. Hudson!

Tony!

Tony!

My golly, voices from the past. It took me about five minutes to dig out the class photo - 1971-72, Div 6.Your memory's perfect - 1971...it was a choir competition but a lot more fun than that! I think some others in the school wanted stuff like "Barbara Allen", but the times they were a'changin'. That little two-room building was a lot of fun too, wasn't it? I remember taking Audrey Scott (the teacher in the other classroom, who's daughter Lisa was in our class) on a flight to Hope in a Cessna 310. I think she liked doing music more than flying!

In the photo of our class, I think I recall you're in the second row up, far right side, big smile. But its been 32 years so you'll have to help me!

I'm at donandfran_hudson@telus.net Tony. Please email and I'll send you the photo of the class if you don't have it. Would love to hear of any others in the class, where they are, what they're doing.

Really glad you posted this...its made my week! And red marks? Naw... ;)

Don H

Just goes to show you how big of an influence teachers have on children...

Cheers to all the men and women who, despite being under paid for their level of responsibilty, dedicate each day to guiding our children towards the right path !!

Guest John Scott

A teacher Don? You've been holding out on us!! I suspect that you'll find that after Don gets finished with this Airline Pilot stuff and retires, he'll setup a little booth like they do on the Peanuts Cartoon and provide sage counsel for us. While he remains at Air Canada, I'm going to continue to solicit this advice for free whenever we chat.

Don, you MUST send in a photo of the beard and sandals era...

John

For some reason I kept expecting to hear Paul Harvey say "And now you know the rest of the story... Good Day" :D :D

Tony

Great story, I'm just having a hard time imagining you as a little gaffer :D

Brett

Guest Banana Wind

Why is it that such an important job such as teaching our children is such a low paying postion. Its a shame that this is allowed to happen

Archived