Just Curious

Seeker

Totally off topic but some of the smartest people I know hang out here....

My kid asks me today; Dad what's in ketchup? So I say; Let's read the ingredients..and we do. However, at the bottom of the label (Heinz), it says "Union Made." The kid asks, of course, what's that mean? So I tell him and then he asks; Why is it on the label? Ahhhh. Dunno.

Now that I think about it I remember seeing the "Union Made" declaration on certain beer too. What are they trying to say, are they explaining the high price, making a comment about the quality of the workmanship, what? Anybody know why it's there?

seeker

Guest rattler

Way back when, the "Union Made" label was displayed on merchandise so that Union Members could be assured that they were supporting fellow workers with their purchase. It was intended to allow those "like" minded individuals to shy away from goods made in "non union" factories. At least that was the theory.

Guest rattler

This is what the "Union Made" and "Make in Canada" labels evolved to combat:

New import rules to cut clothing prices

Canadian clothing retailers are bracing for an unprecedented era of cut-price marketing as Canada and other developed nations prepare to welcome unlimited imports of shirts, skirts and other essentials from Third World manufacturers.

I have no problem with helping the developing countries out but we must ensure that this is so. No sweatshop industries should need to apply. Of course what is a "sweatshop wage" to us, is a good daily wage to a person in a 3rd world country and there is there is "child" labour, is it right or wrong? Against our standards, it is def. wrong. How do we change how it is viewed in the 3rd world?

I guess one way would be to pay Canadian rates for the labor and the clothing but then I guess no one would purchase it. Another case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Guest rattler

The following site may be of interest. It is of course not unbiased and I find the Newsletter entitled: Globalization Threatens Garment Workers to be interesting and in particular the stance that

Workers in the U.S. and Smaller Developing Countries Will Suffer

Sweatshop Org

well there are sweatshops in just about every major western city, it might not be too fair to get all preachy with the developing world when there was a sweatshop \ brothel running in the near open in Calgary for over three years on 32nd ave.

In Toronto and Vancouver there are sweatshops up and running with slave labour smuggled from Asia and the former soviet union. Drive around any industrial part of town and look for backwards razor wire fences. (to keep people in, not out)

increased trade in textiles and other things where the developing world has a comparitive advantage helps them get ahead. One of the main things that thwarts economic development in the developing world is trade barriers in the west that prevent them from leveraging their comparative advantage.

Globalization is a package deal, there is the good and there is the bad.

In Toronto and Vancouver there are sweatshops up and running with slave labour smuggled from Asia and the former soviet union. Drive around any industrial part of town and look for backwards razor wire fences. (to keep people in, not out)

Yeah - just have a look at the new Surrey (nee Vancouver) ACCuser posted image

Seeker I searched the following query: union made campaigns

the site below might give you the answers you are looking for

ULSTD

I have been offered many excellent products are services on a daily basis that are not union made and work just as fine for me.

Here's an example, you can take a Union serviced flight from YVR to YYZ on Air Canada, and a non-union flight to the same destination on WestJet and get even better services.

I also researched the latest report from Canada's Air Travel Complaints Commissioner. The vibe I got was that Union Made simply isent measuring up to service standards in Canada's Airline industry.

You can download and read the Canada's Air Travel Complaints Commissioner report at the following website:

Canada Air Travel Complaints Commissioner

Base on that report, if you analize page 17, you might get an overview of Union Made vs Non

Hope I helped out in your Ketching up rolleyes.gif

" Here's an example, you can take a Union serviced flight from YVR to YYZ on Air Canada, and a non-union flight to the same destination on WestJet and get even better services."

In what way do you measure better service? As an IATA member we are able to transfer baggage to any IATA carrier world wide. As a member of Star Alliance we are able to provide passengers with boarding cards to their final destinations.

Most people travelling internationally or even transborder do not chose WS simply because they have to handle their baggage in Toronto or because you can't sell a YVR to LHR ticket.

Before you criticize service perhaps you should work an 8 or 13 hour flight . A 5 hr flight between YVR and YYZ isn't that diffiicult if you go nonstop - do you? Or do your passengers have to change planes in YYC? which would make it a 6 hr flight.

The only difference between Union and non-union service is that we are not told to tell jokes or play games on board the flight. Our Unionized staff provides great service on-board .

my curiosity wonders if newgirl is hot, or just a pro-union ball busting woman, the other thing that comes to mind is Newgirl just likes her ketchup a little too much.

" my curiosity wonders if newgirl is you hot, or just a pro-union ball busting woman, the other thing that comes to mind is Newgirl just likes her ketchup a little too much."

Sorry but I don't understand your reply , can you rephrase it so I can respond.

I've tried really hard to view that post in a positive light, but no matter how how hard I try it just comes out like slag.

Just my opinion newgirl, but I'd give it all the attention you'd give a slobbering drunk in a bar.

neo

newgirl: " my curiosity wonders if newgirl is you hot, or just a pro-union ball busting woman, the other thing that comes to mind is Newgirl just likes her ketchup a little too much."

was meant to be:

"My curiosity wonders if newgirl is attractive first and foremost.  If you are single and attractive I'm looking.  If I were to take you on a first date, I'd take you on a WestJet trip.  Perhaps YVR-YUL.  While in the air, I'd gladly purchase you a Sandwich from our Buy on Board program.  If you were lucky I'd even purchase you a bottle of red wine, how romantic eh wink.gif  Hopefully you'd enjoy the "Live" news to see how great your Air Canada stock is doing, all this while you were 33,000 feet in the air.  Its the least I could do to interest you in great service with added benefits coming at a later time candle lit setting? or fire place setting? ."

As for the second part, while I almost shed tear for your "hard UNION MADE work", I was trying to determine if you were just a ball busting pro-union femminist, or if you didnt like my original post, with the links to compare union made vs non union.

As for the third part, I figured perhaps you just love your union made ketchup too much, I wonder if all of heinz's 57 varieties are Union Made.

wondering.......how about that date?

rolleyes.gif

newgirl: Most people travelling internationally or even transborder do not chose WS simply because they have to handle their baggage in Toronto or because you can't sell a YVR to LHR ticket.

Before you criticize service perhaps you should work an 8 or 13 hour flight .

Hmm come to think of it, I keep on hearing super nasty rumors about a possible deal with Cathay Pacific. WS already has a professional working relationship with NWA, AS, and many many other airlines. It wouldnt hurt to speculate that perhaps although WS has no codeshare with OneWorld alliance yet, it could always come to be a possibility.

As for me critisizing your work, I'm sorry, what is your profession exactly?

I pretty much work fulltime, after my shift ends, I work as glycol recovery tech......my day is usually about 18 hours long. So really, what was your "Union Made" point?

This love hate thing, is doing it for me wink.gif

Thanks for the link ^o_o^. I actually am Pro-union. The reason for that is that I have worked at many places where the boss just ran roughshod over the lowly employees. You may feel that Westjet is the exception, and it may be, but there aren't many people who can support a family or pay a mortgage on 10 bucks an hour. I'm referring to the subcontracted baggage handlers, for example. Personally I don't think airline tickets across the country should be as cheap as they are. Low cost airlines are, in effect, subsidizing cheap tickets with low wages and poor benefit packages for their employees. While the "Union-Made" label might not indicate superior quality it likely does indicate that the person employed there makes a living wage.

^___^

.\ ° ° /.

..\ v /..

...= =...

Hey Mitch, is that spoken with an accent?

Personally I don't think airline tickets across the country should be as cheap as they are.

I discovered something interesting today when discussing airfares with someone who has no knowledge of the airline industry. Their comment was to the effect that if JG can fly people for $20.00 one way, then the other companies must be really, really ripping off the customer. WS included.

Trying to explain got me nowhere. There definitely needs to be sosme sort of realistic rationalisation of the ticket prices within the industry before px get used to ridiculously low prices.

ccairspace

seeker what would your opinion be, if you were the guy at the bottom of the seniority list, highly skilled at your trade, but the postings kept on being awarded to disqualified, unskilled, unsuited workers? Would you be pro-union then? See, I believe in a happy medium.....no union mentality, and no slacker mentality. If you apply for a posting and you truly are the best candidate for the job, I see nothing wrong with awarding YOU the posting. That being said, if any company I work for started to play the "I'll promote who I think is best suited for the posting" role...I'd be highly concerned, and rest assured I'd voice my concerns LOUD, regardless of the consequences. I would not let myself be bullied.

I believe in FAIRNESS......not pro-union, not anti-union......just dead on in the middle, come to think of it, what’s wrong with having an internal employee association, a group to mediate concerns between the employee, and the employer? You don’t even have to pay hefty dues.

I remember way back when I worked at Purolator it was so obvious that the Union was in bed with the company, grieving anything was just pointless. (Based on the treatment I saw some co-workers get)

I remember the Lead hands "Delegating" work to me. Hey.....wait a minute....isn’t a lead hand to be working alongside with a Brother, help a Brother out where needed, Give a brother proper guidance?.... I'll tell you what my version of the story was...."Go load up that plane, while I go outside the fence to light a cigarette". They were also great aircraft marshallers.........unfortunately that was the extent of their work, they were the senior boys. Way to lead by example. As for the shop Steward......<---a whole other joke itself, I could type you a book on that crap that guy pulled off.

Like the saying goes......."there's pro's and cons" to it all...in the end...we're all human.....honesty and fairness should be the best policy.

If I was to complain about my wages I'd be a hypocrite....I was told what my pay scale was going to be since day one.

I absolutely hear what you are saying. Two sides to this story. I wasn't so much commenting on the relative productivity of union vs non-union but rather that a significant amount of the low-cost carriers success is on the backs of their employees. The customers win and the employees lose. My point is that airline tickets are too damn cheap. The reason for this is that the employees aren't getting paid enough.

^0_0^

Thanks for your clarification on your post to me.

No I am not a pro-union ball busting feminist. However in my 32 years in this industry , my Union's hard work during contract negotiations has allowed me a very good standard of living compared to some non unionized work forces.

As Seeker said , there are far too many companies that will take advantage of their workers. Luckily , I am not one of them..

Fortunately for me, I get paid a fair wage, and I knew what my wages were going to be before I joined the "team". I was not going to wait around untill there was an opening at Air Canada......I think I'd still be waiting for a position.

I dont starve either, for the record wink.gif

Archived