Question for AT pilots / fa's

Guest Kilo Mike

Guest Kilo Mike

Asked the question in another thread, but it was off topic.

Do you guys have any pilots or f/a's on layoff/furlough right now? If so, how does your contract work with WJ doing a fair bit of flying for your company? WJ'rs seem to be hugging the AT charter stuff right now for their own benefit at what seems to be your own guys expense.

Just curious what arrangement / contract language you guys have that allowed this to happen.

Thanx

Asked the question in another thread, but it was off topic.

Do you guys have any pilots or f/a's on layoff/furlough right now? If so, how does your contract work with WJ doing a fair bit of flying for your company? WJ'rs seem to be hugging the AT charter stuff right now for their own benefit at what seems to be your own guys expense.

Just curious what arrangement / contract language you guys have that allowed this to happen.

Thanx

Was talking with a AT pilot this A.M. He said it is a real catch 22. He ownes stock in the company, which he bought down at $7. Some of his friends have been laid off due to the parking of their aircraft. Westjet is doing the flying for a much better rate than their own planes could do it for. So he is making lots of dough while some people are out of work. He does not hold a grudge towards WJ at all, as his company is making more money than ever before. I guess that is why it is called Show Business not Show Friendship. wink.gif

Guest Kilo Mike

Some of his friends have been laid off - he is making lots of dough while some people are out of work.

Nice "friend". With friends like this, who needs enemies. mad.gif

It reeks of self rationalization. I'm sure the layed off guys and gals understand.. I mean heck.. You guys a racking in the cash right? .... While they might be losing their house, or life's savings. ....

Real nice dry.gif

Was talking with a AT pilot this A.M. He said it is a real catch 22. He ownes stock in the company, which he bought down at $7.  Some of his friends have been laid off due to the parking of their aircraft.

Westjet is doing the flying for a much better rate than their own planes could do it for. So he is making lots of dough while some people are out of work. He does not hold a grudge towards WJ at all, as his company is making more money than ever before. I guess that is why it is called Show Business not Show Friendship. wink.gif

I think your AT pilot friend is missing on a few points here... maybe you should let me know who he is and I'll have a chat with him!!! wink.gif

First off, yes we parked planes, planes that were flying about 1500hrs/year each. We replaced them with planes flying more or less 3500hrs/year each. Do the math and you'll realize that we're flying as much if not more hours/year than we used to in 2000-2001 because of greater fleet utilization. The layoffs are not as much a result of fleet reduction but fleet rationalization. We used to operate 5 different types. Now we only operate 2 types thus a lot more efficency from the pilot group resulting in less pilots needed.

Secondly, since only two types are involved, it means that the company needs to deadhead us a lot less than before. Don't forget that we operate out of about 10 bases in high season and most of the pilots are based in YUL with some in YYZ and a few in YVR. So I don't think we have pilots laidoff BECAUSE of WJ.

Finally, from what I've heard from one of our VPs, we are, if not very soon will be, operating at or below WJ's CSM. So the only reason why Group Transat hands some of our flying out to WJ is because AT doesn't want to operate more than two types anymore and wants to focus on widebodies only, therefore we need a partner like WJ to operate out of places where we couldn't fill an A310 on a regular basis. If you follow carefully, both companies's flight scheduled is adapted and modified according to demand out of certain airport (ex. YYZ-YYC-YVR). Smaller markets are deserved by WJ until demand grows for an A310.

Also was told that 2005 should see some RECRUITING at AT...

hope this helps...

Guest Kilo Mike

Morning Gumbi.

"hope this helps..."

Yes that makes more sense. Beav's response struck me as the classic "me first " syndrome that dredominates in our business and it makes me want to yack. A guy gloating at how much money s/he's making while a freind is out on their *ss. Says alot dry.gif .

Cheers

Morning Gumbi.

"hope this helps..."

Yes that makes more sense. Beav's response struck me as the classic "me first " syndrome that dredominates in our business and it makes me want to yack. A guy gloating at how much money s/he's making while a freind is out on their *ss. Says alot dry.gif .

Cheers

Yes it was how I responded, but not my words. You asked a question and I answered it with a response from someone who works at the company.

And Mr. Gumbi, I do not think that I can give you his name, as it may not be too good for his health. For what it is worth I think that he is way off base with his thinking and I let him know that all the time.

Guest Kilo Mike

For what it is worth I think that he is way off base with his thinking and I let him know that all the time.

That's good to hear Beav.

Archived