FOR dashtrash

Kip Powick

Guest 727driver

neo southshore good posts. The truth is Ca nadians go to Cuba because its cheap warm sunny safe and yes some to stick it to the Americans . They do not want to known whats going on. The problem is there are men like Dr.Rodriguez serving 18 years Dr.Fernadez 13 years Dr. Gual 10 years Dr Paneque and Dr. Gonzalez you will not have to worry about him telling it like it is on the beach 2 years for insulting the state.These men are in jail for wanting what the Canadian on the beach has freedom and rights. If only they and I would just shut up. Going to jail so maybe your family could have a better life. Canada England the US problems yes no one is in jail for free speech or leaving the country unless of course you leave Canada with more than 10 grand small joke . China N. Korea Iran there are better places to take a holiday If this thread makes people take a second to think about where to spend their vacation dollars good. Remember while we are on the beach in Cuba Dr.Rodriguez is in jail so you wont hear the truth. Southshore read about the doctors at WWW.amnesty.org Cuba. Merry Xmas to all

Ah yes, free speech in Canada.

Do you recall the peaceful protesters at UBC being hosed down with pepper spray by Jean Cretien's security RCMP? They were there to protest an Asian dictator. How 'bout the Quebec protesters at the WTA meeting; do recall how they were treated? Or Jean Cretien himself assaulting that protester outside Parliament a few years back?

I only point these examples out to illustrate that the right to free speech and protest does not come cheaply, and that even in as free a place as Canada it can be a fragile thing. It shouldn't be taken for granted by Canadians visiting Cuba or staying home, for that matter. You're correct that we should all bear in mind that there are those who do not have such a valuable and fundamental human right.

On another but related point, many years ago I sent a telegram to General Augusto Pinochet, the Chilean dictator. "Where are Guzman, Antillo and Mendez? The world is watching..." I wrote to the man who 'disappeared' thousands of those who opposed him. And did he simply take them out and have them shot because I was being a nuisance? I sure hope not. Neither was the irony of my telegram lost on me. No doubt it was sent over the ITT network, the very people who in concert with the CIA precipitated Pinochet's coup against a democratically-elected government. What are ya gonna do?

If we want to bring about change as rapidly as possible, I recommend that a veritable flood of Canadians descend on Havana. Visit, talk to the people, spend money lavishly, invest, donate. Nothing works faster or is a more reliable inducement to change than economic influence.

neo

Guest 727driver

Neo

In Canada you have the right to free speech and to protest not to riot or assult police officers . Last time I looked no one was in jail from Vancouver or Quebec city You and I know for most it was a party and a riot. There were I'am sure a few serious protesters. As a student in the sixties I have seen it all before.I was at a school were a student protester ended up as a Canadian senator for her work.In London before the war in Iraq there were several peaceful protests with more than 100,000 people I just happened to be there. No riot just protest.Merry xmas Neo

Archived