Jetsgo being propped up by AC

Guest curtiss jenny

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, you sure are high on yourself.  rolleyes.gif

How's this for a hypothetical: Westjet buys Canjet. There's a lot to discuss cost-wise, so lets ignore entering into that discussion. You suggest that Westjet buys Jetsgo, I suggest Westjet buys Canjet. By doing so Westjet gets a good foothold in the east and squeezes Jetsgo from both sides.

Regarding innovation & product area, stay tuned to early 2005.

Sorry CanadaEH....your company has neither enough$$ nor vision to purchase us and that comes from someone who works in the beehive...me!

Westjet is not interested in buying anyone. Nor should they be. Jetsgo's chances for survival are close to nil if MLs track record is any indication. Canjet is growing by small increments only at this point and it is doubtfull if it'll get much bigger. AC has yet to prove anything and there are plenty more obstacles to clear yet. Transat is doing very well focusing on the widebody service and holiday market and could stick around if Tranast AT has the desire to keep it going as an airline. Westjet has sound fundamentals and if it can avoid these mistakes it has been making for a few years can very well have half the market in 5 years.

Cheers.

Sorry CanadaEH....your company has neither enough$$ nor vision to purchase us and that comes from someone who works in the beehive...me!

C6, you're joking right? C'mon, vision? Do you remember Uncle Kenny selling you out last time? Remember when he came to YYC pleading for a buyout? How much do you think CanJet is worth with no real assets, all leased planes?

I think WestJet has plenty of money and vision and just like last time would never buy CanJet or any other airline, and that comes from someone who works in the beehive...me!

Personnally I like CanJet and wish you all the best. I know most of the CanJet (vers 1) pilots and am glad they can hold great jobs in YHZ. But don't BS us, there are almost as many pilots at WS and combined with AC, AT & Jazz plenty more who have worked for Uncle Kenny on this forum then work for him now at CanJet. wink.gif We know all about his vision.

Transat can't operate the flights as cheap as we can operate them. .

I would not bet on that if I were you...

Last august at a company meeting, I was told, by one of our vp, that our CSM was about to be if not already equal or lower to WJ's...

I would not bet on that if I were you...

Last august at a company meeting, I was told, by one of our vp, that our CSM was about to be if not already equal or lower to WJ's...

That might be true gumbi but is it stage length adjusted? I would think that your 310's and 330's in charter configuration should probably be able to be be lower than WJ on the north atlantic but on the shorter US and Mexican routes I doubt it very much. The 737NG makes it's money on the 3 1/2-6 1/2 hour legs, that is what is was built for.

Well sjsa, I'm not gonna step in your little pile o' pooh...bigger is definately not better, just ask your momma! Oh yeah, just a little FYI, he OWNS the 200s so get yer facts straight or were you asleep in the assembly you profess to have attended?

CanadaEH..I apologize to you. I like your posts and I meant no offence. Cripes, this "my thingy is bigger than your thingy" is really getting old. Somebody please post a good Newfie joke or something to make this Forum truly worth reading.

4) AC's political influence   

What political influence? You mean the political influence that causes AC to carry a huge bilingual burden? the polticial influence that causes politicians to sh!t on AC if there is a vote to be had in doing so? In the movie Fiddler on the Roof, there is a scene that evokes AC's view of federal politicians:

Dagger the SMRTest guy in town:

As part of the agreement with the Government that allowed the "take-over" of Canadian Airlines, Air Canada had to agree to provide Bi-Lingual services according to the Official Languages Act, along with many many many other agreements.

Dagger if you signed, then tried to breach any legal documents in business for services I were to hypothetically provide to you, let it be known I would persue as much legal action as was available to me to enforce you to stick to your legal obligations. Air Canada commited to those agreements at the time, they should be forced to stick with it. If AC was still run by the government they would be a bi-lingual airline. It seems to me that the mentality at the time was "YA YA we'll do everything you want sir, yes sir, no problem sir, where do I sign sir, please just make Onex go away sir." half a decade later, they think they have the right to breach or challenge those agreements. No sympathy from me.

I said so a while ago and got flamed by WJetters: Buy out SG. Cheaper than running him out of business. A lot cheaper.

Dagger

Rule number 1 - Stay off the keyboard after you've been into the eggnog. martini.gif

Seriously - from strictly a numbers perspective you may be right. Unfortunately, there are many other factors that influence this industry than numbers such as culture, seniority, employee pride etc. etc. Give us 1 example of an airline merger that has been the least bit successful.

Dagger

Rule number 1 - Stay off the keyboard after you've been into the eggnog. martini.gif

Seriously - from strictly a numbers perspective you may be right. Unfortunately, there are many other factors that influence this industry than numbers such as culture, seniority, employee pride etc. etc. Give us 1 example of an airline merger that has been the least bit successful.

Who said anything about merging SG and WS. I'd just "absorb" the routes and some employees on the terms worked by other WS employees, and I'd get rid of the SG fleet.

Dagger the SMRTest guy in town:

As part of the agreement with the Government that allowed the "take-over" of Canadian Airlines, Air Canada had to agree to provide Bi-Lingual services according to the Official Languages Act, along with many many many other agreements.

Dagger if you signed, then tried to breach any legal documents in business for services I were to hypothetically provide to you, let it be known I would persue as much legal action as was available to me to enforce you to stick to your legal obligations. Air Canada commited to those agreements at the time, they should be forced to stick with it. If AC was still run by the government they would be a bi-lingual airline. It seems to me that the mentality at the time was "YA YA we'll do everything you want sir, yes sir, no problem sir, where do I sign sir, please just make Onex go away sir." half a decade later, they think they have the right to breach or challenge those agreements. No sympathy from me.

Many of the terms and conditions associated with that merger have been amended or cancelled by the feds. The application of common sense has pre-empted obligations that may have made sense at the time. The extent to which bilingual requirements are maintained - and by that I do not mean bilingual services where it makes sense or where numbers warrant, but issues like translating manuals for which there is no obvious demand - has no correlation with a sensible policy regime. Just as AC's obligation not to lay off was waived following Sept 11, and just as the competition rule was rewritten this year to apply to any carrier in a dominant position on a route - it could be WS on some routes now - so too should this policy be reviewed from the perspective of making it provide what is truly necessary.

Who said anything about merging SG and WS. I'd just "absorb" the routes and some employees on the terms worked by other WS employees, and I'd get rid of the SG fleet.

Don't think labour laws allow that sort of thing. It would be a long time in court and the damage to the morale of both groups would far outweigh any possible financial benefit. A huge part of WestJet's success is due to the attitude of the employees and messing with that would be a huge mistake. IMHO

The true test of a "Top Ten Post" afficionado is if he or she'll find a way to post something even remotely interesting in a retrograde thread like this. I'll admit, it's not easy.

Hang on, there's the phone. Back in a sec...

neo

Archived