Jetsgo being propped up by AC

Guest curtiss jenny

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scanning SG's expansion announcement, I was reminded of just how aggressive Leblanc can be. He'll be up to 30 jets by next summer, and I bet Clive and Hill never thought it would come to this. SG has gone out and leveraged cheap aircraft and labor and aggressive marketing. It's usually the low-fare leader, and it has quite a national network now. It has a frequent flyer program that allows it to further lower its fares - by arbitraging FF miles over unfilled seats it effectively lowers a frequent travellers' cost of travel.

SG's soon to be 30 jets, combined with the vast bulk of Westjet's fleet (that portion not doing transborder) adds up to a far more capacity than CP offered during the 1990s.

So here is WJ, with a fairly uniform fleet, flying routes that are increasingly fragmented or marginalized by a low-end and a high-end competitor. As each carrier gets a smaller piece of the total pie on that route, it makes sense to get in smaller aircraft, which also allows one to add frequency. The F-100 is a better fit for a lot of situations than the MD-80s, although AC with 50, 75, 93 and 119 seats will have even more flexibility.

It's going to be tough for WJ. Not to survive. I take WJ's survival as a given. But the days of wine and roses and fat profits and endless growth are coming to an end, and Clive either doesn't recognize it, or is in denial.

Hey Chicken Little, didn't you say the same thing about 5 times over the past 24 hours? Are you getting that bored with yourself that you have to repeat and summarize what you've already said?

Hey Chicken Little, didn't you say the same thing about 5 times over the past 24 hours? Are you getting that bored with yourself that you have to repeat and summarize what you've already said?

Looks like Leblanc has you a little unhinged. I think it's getting obvious to all concerned - certainly the Bay Street Boys are starting to sing from my hymn book, too - that WS needs a course change, or at least a breather to consolidate and regroup. The singlemost significant thing I see right now is that WS has ceded the leadership of the domestic marketplace to other carriers. That means AC/SG/CJ are determining fares, yields, loads and WS is reacting.

Ask yourself. What has WS done this year in the commercial/product area that is innovative? I can think of only one thing. The Air Miles/Mastercard deal with BOM. LiveTV is way behind schedule. Otherwise, the fare structure and the amenities have remained stagnant in the face of largescale change.

As for Dagger--anyone able to prove him wrong based on any of his past analysis on this site???? Thought not!

I can see where he is wrong about a lot of things, as I said before he will play to the haters on the board who will give the usual pavlovian responses to whatever he said.

I personally like reading what he says as it just confirms how misinformed he really is.

I can see where he is wrong about a lot of things, as I said before he will play to the haters on the board who will give the usual pavlovian responses to whatever he said.

I personally like reading what he says as it just confirms how misinformed he really is.

LOL laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Looks like Leblanc has you a little unhinged. I think it's getting obvious to all concerned - certainly the Bay Street Boys are starting to sing from my hymn book, too - that WS needs a course change, or at least a breather to consolidate and regroup. The singlemost significant thing I see right now is that WS has ceded the leadership of the domestic marketplace to other carriers. That means AC/SG/CJ are determining fares, yields, loads and WS is reacting.

Ask yourself. What has WS done this year in the commercial/product area that is innovative? I can think of only one thing. The Air Miles/Mastercard deal with BOM. LiveTV is way behind schedule. Otherwise, the fare structure and the amenities have remained stagnant in the face of largescale change.

Boy, you sure are high on yourself. rolleyes.gif

How's this for a hypothetical: Westjet buys Canjet. There's a lot to discuss cost-wise, so lets ignore entering into that discussion. You suggest that Westjet buys Jetsgo, I suggest Westjet buys Canjet. By doing so Westjet gets a good foothold in the east and squeezes Jetsgo from both sides.

Regarding innovation & product area, stay tuned to early 2005.

How's this for a hypothetical: Westjet buys Canjet. There's a lot to discuss cost-wise, so lets ignore entering into that discussion. You suggest that Westjet buys Jetsgo, I suggest Westjet buys Canjet. By doing so Westjet gets a good foothold in the east and squeezes Jetsgo from both sides.

CE you sure do a lot of straw grabbing.

All new routres do well and the move to CYYZ has been an unprecedented success. Now WJ is going to but Canjet.

Early 2005 for more innovations.

This after you said LiveTV was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As far as I can tell, Dagger has been spot on around here, and for a very long time. Funny thing is how when one doesn't like the message the poor old messenger gets it.

Hey, where did you hear that crazy idea biggrin.gif

CE you sure do a lot of straw grabbing.

Do you understand english? Look up the word HYPOTHETICAL.

Early 2005 for more innovations.

That's right.

This after you said LiveTV was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I don't remember saying that. Please, provide me with a link that shows I did.

As far as I can tell, Dagger has been spot on around here, and for a very long time. Funny thing is how when one doesn't like the message the poor old messenger gets it.

Dagger is an analyst. His job is to analyse our industry. Why do you think he clashed with Kavafian so much? His point-of-view was the complete opposite of Jaques, that's why.

Dagger is an analyst. His job is to analyse our industry. Why do you think he clashed with Kavafian so much? His point-of-view was the complete opposite of Jaques, that's why.

Yes, and who turned out to be right? Dagger may not be subtle but he's usually right. You don't like it when he "analyses" Westjet because it cuts close to the bone just like his analysis of AC during CCAA did. His musings about Westjet buying Jetsgo are correct too but even someone with a mouth the size of Beddoe couldn't swallow that.

It is funny that everyone is thinking that SG adding routes out West is just going to affect WS. Did AC not just announce new routes as well. YYC-YMM comes to mind. With the exception of some shift changes during the month, there is not too much demand for YMM. I may be wrong, but even with the oil and gas doing well there are not a line up of people tying to get to Northern Alberta. Also, was SG not canceling flight through YEG a few weeks ago because of issues with fuel? That is what was told to us in YVR, as the SG csa's were booking their passengers on our flight to YEG. I may be totally wrong with this as it is second hand. However, if it is true, that would not be a good start to increase service from and to YEG.

Forget JetsGo and Canjet, what we really need to do is buy Air Transat from Transat AT. What really worries me is that when the contract expires in I believe 2006, it isn't renewed and we have a whole lot of excess capacity. If you thought that 58% load factor is bad.....try around 35%!!!! That frightens me more than anything right now.

If we were to buy Air Transat, we would have access to international markets. Our domestic would feed Transat Vacations and overseas flights. If we had smaller aircraft we could fly charters from Red Deer and Sydney and make lots of money doing it. Transat stated last year at the AGM that they don't want to be in the airline busines, they want to be in the holiday business. I think it would be a win-win situation.

Hey for all you dagger fans, ask him if he was or even still is on the AC payroll? Dagger may be right about a lot of things, but don't ever expect him to be unbiased. Personally, I think he's full of 'it' most of the time, but I am entitled to my opinion too aren't I? wink.gif

Sure you are. I may be full of it, pompous and at times one-sided, but in your heart you know I'm right most of the time.

but in your heart you know I'm right most of the time.

You could at least have put a smiley thing at the end of that. rolleyes.gif

(Gotta admit though your track record is pretty good.)

Forget JetsGo and Canjet, what we really need to do is buy Air Transat from Transat AT. What really worries me is that when the contract expires in I believe 2006, it isn't renewed and we have a whole lot of excess capacity. If you thought that 58% load factor is bad.....try around 35%!!!! That frightens me more than anything right now.

If we were to buy Air Transat, we would have access to international markets. Our domestic would feed Transat Vacations and overseas flights. If we had smaller aircraft we could fly charters from Red Deer and Sydney and make lots of money doing it. Transat stated last year at the AGM that they don't want to be in the airline busines, they want to be in the holiday business. I think it would be a win-win situation.

Maybe it should be the other way around. Maybe Transat should buy WJ. Who has the big pile of cash burning a hole in its pocket? It would probably be easier right now for AT to buy WS than the other way around.

But the lawsuit does stand in the way.

Sure you are. I may be full of it, pompous and at times one-sided, but in your heart you know I'm right most of the time.

unsure.gif ....now who does that remind me of?.... went by the name of a bomber... B17?... uhhh ... B25?... Liberator?... laugh.gif

Transat can't operate the flights as cheap as we can operate them. The simple fact is that we can't offer as much capacity as Transat wants from us. The contract does not expire in 06.

Maybe it should be the other way around. Maybe Transat should buy WJ. Who has the big pile of cash burning a hole in its pocket? It would probably be easier right now for AT to buy WS than the other way around.

But the lawsuit does stand in the way.

Either way.....I think it would be a force to be reckoned with. I was trying to see who has the bigger market cap but couldn't come up with an answer. Transat was asked recently what they were going to do with all their extra cash and their answer wasn't definitive. Our two companies merging together really makes sense to me.....Clive?????

Does Transat have any laid off pilots?

Yes, around 25.....with WJ hiring 180 pilots in 2005 you'll be back to work soon enough.

unsure.gif ....now who does that remind me of?.... went by the name of a bomber... B17?... uhhh ... B25?... Liberator?...  laugh.gif

I got it!!

It's

DC-10!!

biggrin.gif

Note: The blue is for the airline Max what's his name started. biggrin.gif

Archived