ACE ( Air Canda Stock)

Don,

Very well put, and resonates my thoughts exactly. I'm increasingly disillusioned by our new Collonette...

Best of the season to you and yours. Work with you soon, I'm sure.

buzz

edited because eggnog and rum are evil...

Dagger:

I don't use an 'out of date browser'. My equipment and software is brand new and just about the best. XP-Pro, IE 6, fast processor. I also tried on my laptop, equally equipped and if I was lucky enough to get the main page up, the program would hang or abend. I even tried my older tech NT with IE 5 and no joy. I called my son with his top of the line equipment and he said 'Yah I can get in ok', until he tried to complete the transaction and got two pages of scripting errors and when he tried to back page got a 404 error.

As Manwest says, this is what AC relies upon now for the majority of its domestic sales and few people could get through.

This has been going on for the last 6 days. It is going to hurt the bottom line.

"We all have our successes and we all have our dog days in aviation. The trick in this business is to have more successes than dog days and the best trick is to never brag or complain when they come along."

Hi Don, thanks again for your unflappable ability to give a balanced view. This is probably the most succinct statement I've read here in a while. I quite firmly believe that the past year for WJ has been roughly equivalent to "the perfect storm" that AC faced last year. In large measure we have been our own worst enemies in these affairs but it can be likened to a pimply teenager growing into adulthood. The lessons are being learned, not pleasant but nessecary to move on.

The changes are becoming apparent internally and perhaps you are right in your assessment of the industry in general. AC has been fundamentally changed and there really are no others that have any long term histories or bad habits.

Perhaps this is the new, long term face of commercial aviation in Canada???

Dagger:

I don't use an 'out of date browser'. My equipment and software is brand new and just about the best. XP-Pro, IE 6, fast processor. I also tried on my laptop, equally equipped and if I was lucky enough to get the main page up, the program would hang or abend. I even tried my older tech NT with IE 5 and no joy. I called my son with his top of the line equipment and he said 'Yah I can get in ok', until he tried to complete the transaction and got two pages of scripting errors and when he tried to back page got a 404 error.

As Manwest says, this is what AC relies upon now for the majority of its domestic sales and few people could get through.

This has been going on for the last 6 days. It is going to hurt the bottom line.

I don't intend to pontificate on the vagueries of why some computers work, and others don't in this world. It's not my field of expertise. A few months ago I lost access to a sports bulletin board I had been frequenting for half a dozen years. It was purely a combination of my computer, my browser, my ISP, whatever, because I was virtually alone in my problem. A colleague of mine has an iBook, and it is more quirky on the net than his desktop in the office. You have new technology, but are experiencing problems. I have six year technology with a five year old browser - both of which are niche technology pieces rarely supported any more - and I am making bookings.

While Milton says 60% of domestic fares are booked online, I believe that is not quite true any longer. Since AC signed the new Sabre deal, which puts all web fares on travel agent Sabre sets, that's come down somewhat. I also believe that if access to aircanada.com was broadly affected, there would be two telltale signs: AC reservations lines would be plugged solid, which they are not (just tried, got an agent after 15 seconds on hold), and sites like FlyerTalk would be brimming with reports of problems. That site has a large community of frequent flyers, and while I believe the complaints reported are true, they don't appear to reflect a large portion of the FlyerTalk community. Could AC have done this better? Absolutely? Has AC lost bookings? Probably some. Has it taken a big hit? Doubtful, because some affected people will call the airline for bookings, or a travel agent, or have worked out the problem. This launch was held back until after the Xmas season was sold and before January business travel is booked. ACV bookings aren't affected either. Destina is unaffected and a lot of frequent flyers default to that site when they have an issue with aircanada.com

This is not to diminish your difficulties, or mine. Some of these problems, when they involve a particular browser or technology, could have been anticipated or prevented. But where the problem is less obvious - is it the computer, the operating system, the browser or the ISP? - where there is a Linux system that has been masked to look like Microsoft, well, that's where it is harder to anticipate each and every problem. The bottom line to me is that it is problematic to predict a bottom line hit to AC, at least not one that significantly alters the outcome of this quarter or the next.

Archived