Hey, GDR...

ccairspace

Would it be the " The Screwtape Letters" ?

Those of you still in juniorhigh, don't laugh, that is the title and it is just one of the many great books C.S. Lewis wrote.

Nordo

Hi CC

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I decided to use my C1 pass and indulged myself with a HKG layover and just got back. We can discuss it on this forum or you can e-mail me at gregoryrobinson@shaw.ca

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,

I'll get back to you when I get home next week. Not sure how I want to discuss this topic. I'm into another book called "What is Good" by A. C. Grayling. Also very interesting. Contrasts classical philosophy with religion. Talk to you in a few days.

ccairspace

ETHICS FOR BREAKFAST

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2004 - 7:15AM TO 8:30AM

SPEAKER– DR. GODWIN ENI, Ph.D., M.Sc., B.Sc.

TOPIC: ETHICAL ISSUES AROUND RACISM

Ethical issues around race are often characterized in terms of identity and morality. There are two premises for the identity argument. The first is that what is morally right depends in part on ones identity as a moral agent. The second premise is that a person’s race [or ethnicity or culture] is central to his or her identity as a moral agent. The two premises appear to lead to the summation that what is morally right would depend, at least partially, on that person’s race, ethnicity or culture. By extension, ethical behavior may therefore be linked to a belief in a particular form of moral rightness mediated in part by race, culture or ethnicity. Therefore, what is morally required in a given situation is acting out of a particular moral motivation. What should I do? Why should I do it? In the real world, ethical issues around racism depends on the “glass” through which one is looking at the issue. To what extent is our ethical behavior dependent on the biological factor of race, the cultural socialization of ethnicity or the individual’s morality or sense of rightness? How do we demonstrate our ethical principle when faced with “Hobson’s choice” in real life situations especially in racial contexts? Dr. Eni will raise important questions around personal and collective responses to ethics and racism.

If you are interested in this talk send me an email. I belong to a small group of men and women that have monthly meetings to discuss ethics in business. When I say small I mean about 12 to 14.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived