BC Offshore Oil

handyman

All I can do is offer the same advice/question you put to IFG: Is this how you deal with differences in the cockpit? Learn to respectfully co-exist with opinions which differ from yours. Safety depends on it.

Umm, neo - I hope you don't wish to leave the impression that I required any "advice" from him/her. Just to reaffirm the record. In response to a couple of cpdude's various postings, which regretfully I guess I invited, & which I found ignorant, irrational, etc etc, and which he/she masqueraded as difference of opinion or sense of humour or whatever else seemed changably and childishly suitable to him/her at the time:

.... NTL, I do like the prospect, even the illusion, that minds might shift a little, maybe a slight glimpse of perspective perhaps?  On the one hand, other postings of yours indicate to me that, as a non-Christian (by your standards), not ex-military etc, you'll place no credibility in anything I have to say (unless, I suspect, it was on your "side" of a particular point, and you could be surprised on that from time to time).

OTOH, when you toss stink-bombs into the conversation, like you've done here (and opinion has nothing to do with it), forgive me - I lose the will to treat you with any credibility.  That is changable, but it's in your hands ....

.... & ....

No I would not get so upset etc, believe me, I thrive on that sort of stuff, within rational confines.  Once or twice, tho' conversations have been "aggreably" terminated, not usually by me, tho'  dry.gif . - IFG

Gee, I thought I was pretty decent about it, & IAC I stand by it, and by the suggestion that polite termination is a good end to conversations turning into a dialogue of the deaf, in the cockpit or anywhere else. He has actually since posted one or two items (among quite a few others) that showed a glimmer of the value that undoubtedly lies beneath an unfortunate virtual personality. Who knows? He/she's still free to continue with whoever will put up with him/her. You do seem to have a much better touch at it, & I, for one, am enjoying the show wink.gif

Cheers, IFG

Hi IFG,

No, I didn't wish to give that impression in any way. My comments were strictly meant that if one wishes to moralize about a particular issue, then one had best act consistently with one's own advice. Your handle only came up as a reference for that axiom.

Speaking personally, based on the many things you've posted on the forum, I'd count it a privilege to take aviation advice from you, if I was lucky enough to find myself on your aircraft.

Part of cpdude's issue with me was that he misunderstood the timing of various posts that appeared here. I've done my best to assure him that he'll never have a problem from me if he treats the Forum and its members with respect. Hopefully we'll all move on from this point as smarter but wiser men and women. smile.gif

neo

Flattery will get you nowhere, neo (might get me a swelled head, tho' ohmy.gif). As far as any advice is concerned, I really think most of those whom I've subjected to any would advise you to relinquish that "privilige" rolleyes.gif .

Now, not to agree with everything you say (e.g. I'm a lot closer to the ex-mil guys than you on our latest hi-profile refugee claimant, with some caveats) - hope we're not too far into mutual backslap territory if I say I admire a lot of what you write here too (and you do write a lot wink.gif). On some subjects, I'm too lazy or disorganized to write anything - I just wait and often you or Don Hudson or whoever posts my thoughts exactly and I just marvel at how smart and eloquent I am tongue.gif.

This is a funny medium. While disagreement and difference may make for the most interesting discourse (cpdude had that much right IMO), I often wish I could have a couple beer_mug.gif's with my erstwhile adversaries after some little debate. Almost always they have my complete respect (otherwise, doubt I'd initiate the debate); sometimes that's obscured in a robust discussion.

In Crapula Veritas, IFG [still prefer beer, tho']

Hopefully we'll all move on from this point as smarter but wiser men and women. smile.gif

Wisdom comes in all brands, don't it?! biggrin.gif Yessir... I'm wiser! wink.gif

...now... 'scuse me while I put on the thick Aussie accent....:

Bluddy 'ell there's too much perfume in this room!... oo's got the eau-do-roo 'andy so we can get it right?!

an' as fa you IFG.... In crapitus comprhendeye Mitchimus Latinucus .... so what the heck did you say? huh.gif

Hi IFG, it may be flattery but it's sincere flattery. smile.gif

But I'm curious... in what way do your views differ from mine on the deserter/refugee issue? While I'm in complete sympathy with the young man's unwillingness to become a participant in armed combat, I'm completely clear that his commitment to the military takes precedent over his ability to desert his duty.

I accept that anyone can have a genuine conversion of conscience midstream. In this case, he should refuse combat duty and offer to any other job the military gives him. If that's cleaning latrines, he should be the best damn latrine cleaner the military ever had. If the military refuses to give him another job, he should willingly face the stockade, if the military feels that punishment is appropriate.

Being a pacifist and refusing to kill others is in no way an abrogation of one's duty; on the contrary, it's a recognition of higher duty to our species. It in no way let's you off the hook for anything you've already commited to. And sometimes it will require more grit than anything combat will throw at you.

The young man at the center of this issue is a deserter from his duty who's attempting to invoke Canada's generous refugee laws in order to ovoid the consequences of his choice. Pacifist or militarist, that ain't right. Just my opinion though.

So, in what way do our views differ?

Best,

Richard

Hi, neo, exhausted right now, well into zombiedom; will try and get back in the next day or so, on the other thread - the lines here are pretty elastic, but it is a stretch from BC coastal resources to re-examining immigration policy and foreign military duty smile.gif.

an' as fa you IFG.... In crapitus comprhendeye Mitchimus Latinucus .... so what the heck did you say?  huh.gif

& Hi, Mitch - Very roughly, Truth in Drunkenness biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (at least that's what I've heard). There's the well-known toast/sign0ff/whatever: "In Vino Veritas", basicly going to the notion that folks speak a little more openly with some wine. Friendly dig for our resident vinter ... Anyway, I was once told by somebody more knowledge in Latin than I that vino is not really a word in Latin (it's vinum), but that alternatively "crapula" covers wine, the drinking of it, and the effects therefrom. I didn't remember enough Latin to begin to argue (it's born out by the very basic translators on the 'net), and I sort of liked the english-speaker's pun-twist in it anyway wink.gif

Cheers, IFG

Thanks IFG... I never had the chance to learn Latin.. my wife did, and now remembers not a thing (she claims)...

I tried to lambaste someone in here once with a Latin paragraph I half created from a book, and half found on the internet.... he acted like he understood, and, since I never heard for sure, I'm afraid he might have understood it quite well. tongue.gif ... That's the trouble with language... especially the written word... when it's done poorly, it can be dangerous.... or at least, it can be harmfull... but when it's done well, it sho' cain be a beautiful thing! smile.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

Archived