U.S. army deserter wants to stay in Canada

AME

laugh.gif Ok, I was thinking, as I wrote that, that there might have been an occasion where we agreed... I guess that was it. cool.gif I'm sure if we hunted, we could find more, but it'd be more fun to wait for them to come naturally. biggrin.gif

... so I'm left wondering... if I so rarely agree with you, how is it that I've developed such a high opinion of you? tongue.giflaugh.gif

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JakeYYZ

Mitch, my experience in life has been that the vast majority of proselytizing and god-babble has come from the atheist/agnostic set, rather than from the believers.

It is the atheists who are inevitably at pains to convince me that some crucifix or six-pointed star is the first fateful step down the slippery slope to theocracy, and I simply do not see it that way.

No one has tried to proselytize me the other, traditional way... in other words, to tell me that the absence of religion from my life will lead to awful and baleful consequences.

I think it probably takes a lot more faith not to believe in God than it does to believe in God because if you don't believe in God you believe in nothing, which is the great void and darkness and I am scared of the void and darkness except when I am feeling bloated and need to turn off the lights if you know what I mean.

Guest rattler

I am not sure why he is worried about returning to the US to face military justice, based on the following he will only receive a week or so in detention or ??????

A US soldier has been jailed for three years in a plea bargain following the murder of a severely wounded 16-year-old Iraqi, the military says.

Staff Sgt Johnny Horne Jr had pleaded guilty to the unpremeditated murder of the civilian youth in Baghdad's Sadr City suburb on 18 August.

He also pleaded guilty to soliciting another soldier to commit murder.

His defence said the death of the injured Iraqi was a "mercy killing" in collusion with another soldier.

Archived