AC ------- Good Grief------$---?

Kip Powick

Just rec'd a little cardboard box in the mail this morning and enclosed was an AC Tie Tac/Lapel Pin, a 12 page, large, full color, 22 x 14 inch paper, glitzy spread about the New Air Canada as well as 22"x 14" poster of AC fin # 639 in the new colors.

Makes me wonder how much this all cost ?????? Did every employee and retiree get this??? I guess this is "supposed" to be an informative morale booster......but......all that money...couldn't it be better spent ??

Just curious. ph34r.gif

Just rec'd a little cardboard box in the mail this morning and enclosed was an AC Tie Tac/Lapel Pin, a 12 page, large, full color, 22 x 14 inch paper, glitzy spread about the New Air canada as well as 22"x 14" poster of AC fin # 639 in the new colors.

Makes me wonder how much this all cost ?????? Did every employee and retiree get this??? I guess this is "supposed" to be an informative morale booster......but......all that money...couldn't it be better spent ??

Just curious. ph34r.gif

Not knowing how much money it cost, it's hard to criticize. But I would guess that it cost more to mail it to you than it cost to produce the materials. AC does have in-house communications and graphics department and a glossy newsletter/brochure - unless produced on very expensive stock which I doubt - can be mass-produced for about 25 cents. Pins, probably made in China, about the same, the poster, I presume, is the same one the airline has used in many situations already, including at the livery launch event. Bet it didn't cost a buck an employee to produce the materials.

What a dumb waist. They could have spent that money on food just write a cheque and donate to those that need something extra at xmas that would bring people together more at this time of the year then something like this where people will put this crap in the garbage can. mad.gif

com'on DAG...25 cents for a 12 page spread on gloss white, finished at 22x14??? I will concede that it is 3 large 22x14 sheets, (folded 2 to 4) plus the poster and pin, but as one who has their own print business......25 cents is really low-ball...unless of course you don't take into consideration the employee time for the composition, layup, wash and print and that is not even including the packaging.

I certainly wish I had their connections...I'd be one rich dude wink.gif

All the little costs add up. That's why they are a higher cost carrier (HCC).

Dagger - enough of the spin. You do a better job of spin than AC's in house PR people. Ever considered a new carreer? biggrin.gif

And they are a much higher yielding carrier, too.

Spin? Listen, I defended the Celine Dion gig because I had a good insight and frankly, I am being proven right. Here's a scoop. The Canadian Travel Commission is so thrilled with the reception the campaign is getting, it is planning to take it to other foreign markets. This song/campaign will be a huge success, a big win. And here's another scoop. I can't wait for the November traffic numbers, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. November is usually pretty crappy, you know.

cool26.gif

And they are a much higher yielding carrier, too.

I bet their yield has come down since they moved to a simple fare structure with low Tango one way fares on all domestic and transborder routes. Their load factor should increase though (as you pointed out)...........enough to off-set the loss in yield? We'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, I am sure Kip is happy with his freebies and will be a loyal AC customer in his retirement years. wink.gif

Anyway, I am sure Kip is happy with his freebies and will be a loyal AC customer in his retirement years. wink.gif

Freebees.....ya mean the, according to DAGGER, 25 cent glossy brochure and the "probably made in China" pin ???

Loyal AC....? I'm flying WJA in a few days biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I can't wait for the November traffic numbers, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. November is usually pretty crappy, you know.

First three weeks of November were good but the last week should be rather dismal. Plus there was the WS put everything on deep sale that will depress yields but help the PLF.

I was glad from a company perspective that AC did not match the WS $48o/w YYC-YVR on everyflight. The 10:00, 10:30, and 11:00 flights that connect into Pacific were not on the sale to save seats for higherfare traffic.

January is looking good however, and AC could still sell seats with WS being 1/2 the price.

Roberts response for the "gift" . I havent recieved mine yet but whether it cost 25cents or 25 bucks its a waste of money mad.gif

Hello, it’s Robert for Friday, December 3rd

Not unlike when you were in back in school, close your books because it’s pop quiz time.

1: Name three of the seven key elements of our new way of doing business.

2: What’s a Latitude Pass and which cities can it be used to travel between?

3: Which low cost carrier CEO said “Air Canada matches us dollar for dollar on every single fare, every single minute of every single day”?

If you drew a blank on any of these questions, then we’ve got some reading on the way to you. The answers, and much more about our business strategy, brand revitalization and product investments can be found in a special employee newspaper called A New Beginning. You received it, or soon will, either at work or at home, along with a pin and a color poster of our new livery.

As we embark on this new phase of Air Canada’s existence, it is critical that we are all on the same wavelength and are all pulling in the same direction. Getting information read by everyone in a company as large as ours with so many of our employees on the road as much as we are, meant that the only effective way to get the message to all of you was to mail it to your homes. This investment is an important one as we move to get everyone to the same starting point.

In so doing, we took the opportunity to send each of you a pin depicting our new image. I hope you like it. I’ve already heard from many of you who have received the package and look forward to wearing the pin with pride. Thank you for the feedback.

And all of us can use this valuable information to educate not only ourselves, but our families, friends and customers about a strategy that is already showing positive results as is reflected by our share price which broke through $30 yesterday.

So, if you read A New Beginning, great. And if it left you with questions, ask them. If it’s sitting unread or unopened on your desk or at home, then make an investment in your future and read it, cover to cover.

No, there won’t be test, but I assure you that you’ll be glad you took the time.

Thanks for calling and I’ll talk to you again soon

Roberts response for the "gift" . I havent recieved mine yet but whether it cost 25cents or 25 bucks its a waste of money mad.gif

Let me guess.

You would be one of the first to say.... "Air Canada management never tell us anything".

Would have been cheaper to send an email to all employees, all employess have air canada email. This is where I recieved the 'hello, its robert" letter.

Not all employees have company email!

Let me guess.

You would be one of the first to say.... "Air Canada management never tell us anything".

Just another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I see the package not only as a way of answering a lot of questions employees had about the brand reimaging and the advertising campaign, but also a memento of an important turning point in the history of the company. It's going to go with the rest of the commemorative things that I've held onto over the years - the goose/maple leaf pin signifying the merger of the two companies, poster of the Canadian aircraft when we changed to the goose livery, the 767 model we were given when Canadian added 767s to their fleet, the coffee mug from CP Air, David's Christmas ties, our service award pins. Just stuff to look back at when the career comes to an end, or for the kids to look at when we're gone.

Sounds hokey I know, but that's just me. The rest of you feel free to throw it in the garbage and complain about it. wink.gif

Just another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I see the package not only as a way of answering a lot of questions employees had about the brand reimaging and the advertising campaign, but also a memento of an important turning point in the history of the company. It's going to go with the rest of the commemorative things that I've held onto over the years - the goose/maple leaf pin signifying the merger of the two companies, poster of the Canadian aircraft when we changed to the goose livery, the 767 model we were given when Canadian added 767s to their fleet, the coffee mug from CP Air, David's Christmas ties, our service award pins. Just stuff to look back at when the career comes to an end, or for the kids to look at when we're gone.

Sounds hokey I know, but that's just me. The rest of you feel free to throw it in the garbage and complain about it. wink.gif

Well I had to see this little newletter thing... So I had it sent over...

Boy, if some of you only took the time to read it...

Like on page 5, details of the new in-seat video

"Several channels of live TV will be offered..."

Up to 50 audio options

Internationally, 40 two-hour movies will be offered in up to 8 languages

Domestically, 20 two-hour movies will be offered

Embraers, CRJ-705s, all A320 family and all international widebodies will have them

Touchscreen AVOD in economy - pause, play, reverse, fast forward.

Yee-hawww! Job security for us Avionics Techs!

As long as they don't contract it out....

Retrofitting the A320 family could keep Winnipeg going for quite some time just on that work. Look at what's happening with the JetBlue deal and that's just upgrading.

Retrofitting the A320 family could keep Winnipeg going for quite some time just on that work. Look at what's happening with the JetBlue deal and that's just upgrading.

From what I hear, there are a bunch of airplanes lined up outside the hangar in YWG awaiting Maintenance. The guys are run ragged. Management is trying to rule by the whip, and it's not going well. I believe some different "Labour Relations" tactics might go a long way...

Guest rattler

Re pin and info package. Smart move as it was also sent to AC Retirees who are not backwards about promoting the value of their former company to anyone who will listen. biggrin.gif Word of mouth advertising is the very best kind.

"Re pin and info package"

They even sent these trinkets to every one of Ace's regional subsiduary employees at Jazz Air Limited Partnership. What the heck are they going to do with them? Posters of the new paint job at mainline? Yep.. see that going on the wall asap.

Money to burn...Where's Donald when you need him because someone should be getting fired.

Seat belt sign......ON

Slim

Archived