Any WJ Pilots Flying YYZ-LAX Dec 17?

chris

Hey guys,

How is everyone doing? I will be flying aboard WJ on Fri Dec 17th, departing YYZ for LAX. Flight # is 922, which departs at 9:45am (this means I will have to take the Robert Q out to YYZ at 3am! sad.gif )

Anyway, I was just wondering if any WJ pilots here will be flying that particular flight? If so, would be at all be possible for me to come up front and say hi? (is that allowed anymore?)

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Chris,

Won't be doing that flight. I can only aspire (200 guy). Say hi for sure but once the flight deck door is locked when the main cabin door closes there are no more visitors. Thanks Osama! mad.gif

Not even employees are allowed to sit in the jumpseat during flight going into and out of the US. (transport and line check guys excluded) Full flights out of LAX back to YYC and have been leaving company people behind. Just does not seem fair.

Really ? ? I thought it was the same for all canadian carriers.

Air Canada Pilots can occupy the flight deck seat on transborder flights. Transport ID must worn.

It is high time WE take back our jumpseat whether it is in Canada, Transborder or around the world.

According to the communication we (WJ Pilots) received there is no-one except TC Inspectors, required personnel and check pilots allowed in the jumpseat on transborder flights. These even have to be submitted 24-48 hours in advance.

You might want to check with TSA on this one as they don't seem very forgiving.

According to the communication we (WJ Pilots) received there is no-one except TC Inspectors, required personnel and check pilots allowed in the jumpseat on transborder flights. These even have to be submitted 24-48 hours in advance.

You might want to check with TSA on this one as they don't seem very forgiving.

Not the same at AC then.

This is quoted in the company generated notams section on all transborder flight plans, and has been the case for quite sometime.

It was suspended while the threat level was "Orange" I believe.

And thats that way it should be in Canada!! Their shouldn't be a mix confusing messages.

I normally tune all that chatter out when the jokes start, other people probably do the same.

it's about reading your crowd.

On the morning AirBiz flights I won't tell jokes as lead, same goes on red-eye flights, later in the evening fights, and early AM flights.

However, many guests have said that they actually paid attention to the demo because of the jokes on other flights such as sun destination charters.

WJ isn't the only airline to employ humour in their safety related announcements, I recall reading specifically about an airline based out of the eastern USA that had recorded messages for safety announcements done by celebrities and comedians... can't think of their name off hand right now.

I understand how many frequent travellers would find this type of announcement uneccesary and/or annoying. When I whip the first joke out and I don't get a positive reaction, I usually leave it at that, no more jokes, but if the crowd responds well (at least the mass majority) and there are smiles on people's faces and laughter through the cabin, I will continue on with the more casual approach.

To each his own I suppose, and I respect both sides of the coin and as a professional (or whatever you want to call an FA), I can adjust my demeanor to both sides.

However, many guests have said that they actually paid attention to the demo because of the jokes on other flights such as sun destination charters.

Probably very true, cause most heading south are in a holiday mood, no worrys and are primed for a good time so "show-time" is totally acceptable to these very "happy-campers". I don't think that I have ever been on a sun charter flight where all the customers do not applaud on touchdown, both at destination and arrival....you don't see that on everyday "normal" flights. Is it relief that they are there safe or is a genuine approval of the steely eyed, well coordinated, straight teeth crooked smile,God like creatures, manipulating the heavy machinery with such grace and skill to the terra firma?? biggrin.gif

I think the reason many of us do not go for the continual ha-ha stuff is that if one has been in this business for a few years, we have seen it all and probably heard it all. There are few aviation jokes, expressions that all flight crews have not heard. I would think that some of your "freaky flyers" may get tired of the "humour as well....just my opinion, though.

"WJ isn't the only airline to employ humour in their safety related announcements...",

I remember deadheading on an Air Canada DC-9 and hearing the Purser tell everyone to, "Place your seatbacks in the up-right and least comfortable postion for landing". It continued from there with a very witty and entertaining prelanding announcement.

I thought it was done professionally and with humour that the crowd enjoyed and more importantly - listened.

The best one I've heard came on a day where we experienced a major delay due to a mechanical problem. The in-charge was clearly dismayed at the demeanour of the folks as they boarded, and seemed prepared to suffer through a long night. The day was saved when the Skipper beside me picked up the handset and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to apologize for the delay in our departure today, but unfortunately, as the automated baggage shredder has malfunctioned, our ground crew was forced to do it all by hand!" The laughter could be heard loudly through the door, and the crew was blown away by how the Captain's quip melted the ice. The duty free sales were among the highest ever seen that night.

Archived