Thank you, Immigration Canada!

Guest JakeYYZ

Guest JakeYYZ

Feds luring francophones

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, Parliamentary Bureau

The federal government is on a mission to lure French-speaking immigrants to Canada. While Immigration Minister Judy Sgro sat out a trip to Tunisia and Cameroon designed to promote immigration to francophone communities, last weekend she dispatched a delegation of government, francophone and Acadian representatives.

"Linguistic duality is fundamental to our Canadian identity and my government is committed to continuing its efforts to form the partnerships required to develop francophone minority communities," she said in a statement.

Sgro doesn't speak French fluently.

Conservative immigration critic Diane Ablonczy was "mystified" by the federal government's apparent emphasis on recruiting francophones.

Attracting skilled workers and fixing the broken refugee system have been identified as top priorities for the department, she said.

"It just popped up out of the blue, something completely different than (what) we've heard the minister talk about before," Ablonczy said.

Sebastien Anders, a spokesman for Canadians for Language Fairness, called it "biased" to promote immigration based on francophone status.

kathleen.harris@tor.sunpub.com

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the French didn't want to be a part of Canada? Why are we using our tax dollars to promote this sh&t? And what duality? I can't put up an English sign in Quebec.

Do you live in Quebec, or just complain about it?

The fact is Canada needs skilled tradespeople. There are jobs going begging in this country - good paying jobs - because there is a shortage of skilled people. We have to go out and recruit immigrants, and quite frankly, Europe is a pretty good place to start.

The problem is that we are not rescruiting the skilled tradespeople. Instead we have a system that promotes family unity--which is good when it extends to teh immediate family. What we do instead is allow a person to sponsor almost anyone who belongs to his/her extended family, including parents who may be out of the work force and can then collect benefits--especially our health care benifits.

An article in one of the papers this weekend dealt with an immigrant family from Sri Lanka. The only skilled worker was the husband who a computer engineer background. Guess what, we have enough of those guys unemployed and looking for work so why did we allow this individual in???

Our entire system is backwards. Lets emphasize the skills that are in short supply and allow those individuals to emmigrate here--not someones 3rd cousin.

Guest JakeYYZ

I didn’t know that Tunisia and Cameroon were in Europe.

Gee, I thought they were in the Middle East and Africa?

They (blacks) cannot even keep it together in their third world countries without raping and hacking each other up with machete's, now what the ferck makes you think when we transpose them to a semi-civilized country they will leave their jungle antics behind?

The fact is Canada needs skilled tradespeople. There are jobs going begging in this country - good paying jobs - because there is a shortage of skilled people. We have to go out and recruit immigrants, and quite frankly, Europe is a pretty good place to start.

Indeed. No one can deny that there simply aren't enough Canadian-born exotic dancers. But is encouraging strippers to emigrate from Europe the answer?

I feel the program to hire skilled workers from Europe is both short-sighted and a slight to our own women. Why import some skank from Eastern Buleemia when, given a federally-funded training program, we have all the talent necessary?

Let's see some leadership and patriotism in this area!

neo

From JakeYYZ: I didn’t know that Tunisia and Cameroon were in Europe.

Gee, I thought they were in the Middle East and Africa?

Actually, they're both in Africa, but what's a thousand nautical miles when you're talking machetes?

From JakeYYZ: They (blacks) cannot even keep it together in their third world countries without raping and hacking each other up with machete's, now what the ferck makes you think when we transpose them to a semi-civilized country they will leave their jungle antics behind?

Yet another magnificent statement; it will go down in AEF history.

JakeYYZ: Rarely indecisive, and soon to be even more rarely seen.

They (blacks) cannot even keep it together in their third world countries without raping and hacking each other up with machete's, now what the ferck makes you think when we transpose them to a semi-civilized country they will leave their jungle antics behind?

Holy s#!t! Do you really think like that? Do you call that "civilized"?

Guest JakeYYZ

Neo---i judge people by facts and experience--- if that makes me a racist then color me racist. Something in this country ---MY COUNTRY--- has gone terribly awry when kids decide to put a gun in their coats before they go to school or the mall--- tell me there is nothing wrong with that---better still go tell the mother of the 11 year in Toronto that got nailed in the head about what you think about immigration and integration with all the shades of the world living happily in some long forgotten ill-conceived "Rain-bowed Valhalla”.

Jake, your idea of what "facts" are is becoming highly suspect!

Do you suppose for a second that these gun problems are strictly the domain of blacks from third world nations? ... or, for that matter, do you think that all of these folks you're trashing are guilty of the crimes you're accusing them of?

You certainly do sound like a racist at the moment.

Guest JakeYYZ

Wake up, BLACKS have a propensity for violent crime 10 times that of their white counterpart---so where the ferck is the prejudice in stating the facts? Mitch, did know that blacks make up 15% of the Toronto population but are responsible for 70% of the violent crime in the city. The Fantino guy is out (well, one of the reasons) for making that statement. - Accused him of supporting racial profiling. I’m not going to spoon feed you…google it yourself

Indeed. No one can deny that there simply aren't enough Canadian-born exotic dancers. But is encouraging strippers to emigrate from Europe the answer?

I feel the program to hire skilled workers from Europe is both short-sighted and a slight to our own women. Why import some skank from Eastern Buleemia when, given a federally-funded training program, we have all the talent necessary?

Let's see some leadership and patriotism in this area!

neo

Bravo neo - well said!

I think if those idiots in the federal government wanted to put our tax dollars to good use, they would issue all Canadian women over the age of 18 their own pole.

BTW, isn't a Buleemian skank a type of ferret? I was sure I saw one in a zoo once.

Wake up, BLACKS have a propensity for violent crime 10 times that of their white counterpart---so where the ferck is the prejudice in stating the facts?
The "facts" according to Jake! Wow! blink.gif

Care to tell us where, or how you managed to compile those particular "facts"? dry.gif

Mitch, did know that blacks make up 15% of the Toronto population but are responsible for 70% of the violent crime in the city. The Fantino guy is out (well, one of the reasons) for making that statement. -  Accused him of supporting racial profiling. I’m not going to spoon feed you…google it yourself

I wonder Jake... did Fantino happen to also have a look at other factors, such as poverty, while he was compiling those stats? .. didn't think so. Funny though, even that completely useless statistic doesn't manage to meet your own "10 times" "fact".

Ok, it's clear now I think... you are a racist.

Oxford English Dictionary:

racism

• noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race

Most of us are racists to one degree or another based upon that definition.

I think if those idiots in the federal government wanted to put our tax dollars to good use, they would issue all Canadian women over the age of 18 their own pole.

If the government won't do it then I am more than willing to issue every Canadian woman over the age of 18 a pole...hell I will even issue some 17 year olds.

On a serious note, can someone tell me exactly what shortage of skilled workers we are in need of?

Oxford English Dictionary:

racism

• noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race

Most of us are racists to one degree or another based upon that definition.

The rest of the definition:

racism

• noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

ccairspace

Then, also from Oxford:

prejudice

• noun 1 preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or experience. 2 unjust behaviour formed on such a basis. 3 chiefly Law harm that may result from some action or judgement.

ccairspace

Guest JakeYYZ

What to play the socio=economic card?

Socio-economics --has as much of a role in criminality as it does in "determining I.Q.'s". --- next to none!!(read the "Bell Curve")

Turn your fercking TV's on and watch the news---day after day someone who's name I would not attempt to pronounce is doing something very horrible and violent ------ and while all these shenanigans are transpiring 80% of our society turns their head or puts them in the sand. If the leaders of these several ethnic "evil doer" cultures with a propensity for violence quit talking about how WHITEY keeps putting their ilk down and admitted that they have a big fercking problem that needs dealing with then and only then can we begin to find a solution.

Why doesn't Dudley Laws say "Hey, our people only make up 15% of the Toronto population but we are responsible for 70% of the violent crime in the city" that would be a good start instead of whimpering about racial profiling.

If the leaders of these several ethnic "evil doer" cultures with a propensity for violence quit talking about how WHITEY keeps putting their ilk down

Ya, heaven knows, "whitey" doesn't put "their ilk" down! blink.gif

Jake.... I have to say I'm finding this line of crap from you extremely offensive... ... and I doubt I'm alone in that thought. It's bordering on "promoting hatred"!

If you're not sober, I suggest you wait until you are before you post your apologies... if, on the other hand, you're speaking now with all your wits available to you.... good grief! ...what a sad way to think!

I'm truly disgusted by what I'm reading here.

Thank you CCA.. I was going to look up "the rest" of that definition to post myself.

Guest JakeYYZ

Are you saying that if someone were to say attribute something negative to blacks in any way, shape, or form, they're automatically racists?

A hypothetical example; If you were to discover that 30% of white males were child molesters, you probably would not trust your children around white males. I wouldn't. Would that be racist?

“Promoting hatred”? When did I say “I hate BLACKS”?

Are you saying that if someone were to say attribute something negative to blacks in any way, shape, or form, they're automatically racists?

Yes!

Just like white folks, black folk come in all different shapes, sizes, cultures, backgrounds and attitudes. If anyone were to claim (as you have!) that they all generally shared any kind of quality because of the colour of their skin alone, that would identify the one making that claim as a racist.

Now if someone were to tell me that Jamaicans, for example, generally shared a specific quality, that'd be a different story. It's entirely likely that most of those from the same country/culture will share specific traits... (regardless of their skin colour), but to make that claim about all those who only happen to have skin colour in common is absolutely ridiculous!

“Promoting hatred”? When did I say “I hate BLACKS”?

You didn't, but you sure implied it. You've lumped them all together, regardless of culture, or background, and made the ridiculously racist claim that "they have 10 times the propensity for violence" than whites! That's just such a moronic thing for you to say that any counter claim will sound silly. There are black people in all corners of the globe from all different cultures... I could personally introduce you to some black folks born here in Canada who'd be extremely offended by those claims (with damned good reason!), who have no more of a "propensity for violence" than I do!

I don't even know why I continue talking with you about this ...I feel sickened by your disgustingly racist attitude. ...I guess it's just that I figure someone has to counter your nonsense with what's right. ... and I suppose because I happened to be trying, nobody else is.

Someone else's turn now... I'm done.

Wow..what a thread !! The problem with many of us attempting to put down what we feel is, that at times, the heart vice the brain leads the typing fingers. In all honesty, I don’t think any of the authors are “racist”. I believe that some posters intent was to use the first example that popped in their mind as dialogue to reinforce their view of a particular situation. Let’s face it, an excellent writer can skate around any subject without “offending” anyone but …not everyone has the ability to clearly put forth their points, especially in this medium where face to face contact is not possible and I will be one of the first to admit that I fall into that catagory.

Put the dictionary aside and you find that racism, or branding someone, as a racist is a very touchy subject and everyone’s lines in the sand are drawn using different criteria, perhaps based on personal experience or even what they have seen, or read. Many persons have strong feelings about our Canadian immigration policy and the resultant effect it has on our country but to lump these individuals in a group and automatically label them racist, because they have cited the first example,with respect to the failure of the system, that comes to their mind is not, in my opinion, fair.

It should be pointed out that there was a Police Officer in Toronto, of Asian descent, who was compiling detailed crime statistics, not to reinforce any belief that race or creed entered into the equation with respect to “who does what”, but rather to present to his managers where, to what group of people, he felt the entire Force should concentrate their crime prevention efforts.

Unfortunately, information leaked to the press that he was doing this work…ergo he must be a racist, and much to the chagrin of the entire police department he was chastised, reprimanded, and he was forced to cease his work.

Lately the Toronto School Board has an individual who is doing a like study on students in an effort to target those that require more assistance. Perhaps their location, home life, race, religion, and social status are factors in their inability to keep up with other children. He, too, has been labeled by some as a racist.

So who is, and who isn’t a racist?? Does it depend on the style of prose one uses when commenting on a sensitive issue or do we, as a group, take the politically correct high road and not discuss problems that are easily seen as self evident ?

Why, when we have the statistical data available, are we not “supposed” to talk about the fact that perhaps a “race/ ethnic group” in our midst has the propensity to be out of step with the “norm”? Is it not to our advantage, as a society, to point out that there may be a group, whether it be a minority, a different race etc., that requires more guidance to assimilate into the “friendly” Canadian community? Should we not encourage free speech, within the bounds of decency, and discuss situations such as these with passion, bearing in mind that what is written may not be the entire story. I would think it is time to step back and “chill” and perhaps approach any verbal confrontation with a sensible attitude, as it is quite apparent that on this forum,…no one is perfect.

Just my opinion from away out here.

Archived