About Time...

cp fa

It's nice to know that this pair will be out-of-pocket for all their lawyers costs.

I would think that if they won, the lawyer would get a %, probably a very big percentage................ If they lost the lawyer may have been on his own....many "ambulance chasers" work that way.

There is sanity in at least one court of law. Fact is that the list of routes on which AC travellers can expect (demand?) French service has recently been reduced.

Ironic that the identification of several transformer routes as 'bilingual' has since been reversed coincident with the assignment of those routes away from Jazz to GGN.

Coincidence?

The great part about this isn't the this couple may never travel again, it's that the Supreme Court has made a ruling that all the Lower Courts may now reference in regards to nuisance lawsuits. It will have those who make a living bringing them forward (and I'm talking about the scammers, not the lawyers) quake a little at the idea of having to cover the costs, and it brings those who wish to thwart common sense into a very hot spotlight.

You're correct Kip, the prosecuting lawyer may have been retained on a contingent basis. Having failed to consider the possibility of contingency arrangements, I was being prematurely optimistic in my hope that because the Decision was split in a sense, the Court would leave the matter of costs to the individual Party, which would punish the linguistically offended.

CBC got the original article wrong, go back and note they have changed the article with an apology

An earlier version of this story said the Supreme Court of Canada had ruled in favour of Michel and Lynda Thibodeau in their complaint against Air Canada over a lack of French service. In fact, the court upheld a Federal Court of Appeal decision that said the couple were not entitled to $12,000 in compensation. The Supreme Court agreed the couple's French-language rights were violated, but said they did not qualify for damages.

I would think that if they won, the lawyer would get a %, probably a very big percentage................ If they lost the lawyer may have been on his own....many "ambulance chasers" work that way.

You're correct Kip, the prosecuting lawyer may have been retained on a contingent basis. Having failed to consider the possibility of contingency arrangements, I was being prematurely optimistic in my hope that because the Decision was split in a sense, the Court would leave the matter of costs to the individual Party, which would punish the linguistically offended.

I don't think that any of the contingent lawyers would touch this because it was a peanuts case. $12,000 is just too little money. Even if the lawyer got 100%, it wouldn't have covered the time it would have taken to put a case in front of the Supreme Court.

If they did have a lawyer, it would have been a relative, someone who either had a grudge against AC, someone who felt strongly about french language rights or someone supplied by a french language support group.

I don't think that any of the contingent lawyers would touch this because it was a peanuts case. $12,000 is just too little money. Even if the lawyer got 100%, it wouldn't have covered the time it would have taken to put a case in front of the Supreme Court.

If they did have a lawyer, it would have been a relative, someone who either had a grudge against AC, someone who felt strongly about french language rights or someone supplied by a french language support group.

His original suit that he was appealing was for $525,000 in damages. The Federal court upheld his complaint, ordered the airline to make a formal apology and pay him $5,375.95. He was appealing that AC settlement, and his original suit of the $525,000.00 in the SCC....................peanuts ???.

His original suit that he was appealing was for $525,000 in damages. The Federal court upheld his complaint, ordered the airline to make a formal apology and pay him $5,375.95. He was appealing that AC settlement, and his original suit of the $525,000.00 in the SCC....................peanuts ???.

This had nothing to do with the original money-grab-attempt in 2000 in which they sued for $525,000 and was awarded the $5375.95 amount.

This was to do with a $12,000 award that was given on another series of flights in 2009. AC appealed, won the appeal and this was the appeal to the SCC of that judgement by the Federal Court of Appeal. The case had been taken up by the Federal Languages Commissioner, so there was no contingency fee, it was our money.

So, bottom line... they they wasted our money to waste the SCC's time.

Not sure about the earlier cases, but in SCC they were represent by

Solicitors for the appellants Michel and Lynda Thibodeau: CazaSaikaley, Ottawa.

Solicitor for the appellant the Commissioner of Official Languages of Canada: Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages, Ottawa

I don't think it's really relevant whether they speak English or not, although it does irk me that they act so outraged when someone doesn't translate a sentence for them. If I were crusading against establishments that don't provide the proper accessibility or parking spots for disabled customers, not being disabled myself, I don't think my efforts would be any less valuable or appreciated. However, if I were asking for damages paid to myself for these infractions I could see ridicule heaped my way, not for fighting the fight, but for being compensated for it.

Archived