Cool Photo Of Lightning Strike

vanishing point

I didn't take this photo but thought it was impressive enough you guys might want to see it. It was posted by a member on a car forum I frequent. His post is copied below. He lives in Saint Joseph, IL.

My wife was taking of photo of a rainbow that appeared after a storm rolled through the area yesterday (9/20).

Just as she shot the photo, a lightning strike occurred.

The column has been explained to me as "ionization of water/air" just prior to the strike actually happening.

post-549-0-26060300-1411357583_thumb.jpg

Always the skeptic, I had a close look at this photo. For a while, I thought that I couldn't find anything wrong with it.... but....

Look at the reflection of any vertical lines on the wet ground from the barn. NONE of them are perfectly straight. But the reflected "ionization" column is perfectly straight and virtually uninterrupted by the difference between wet asphalt and puddles, except in a couple of places. Nothing close to the reflection of the barn, though.

That, and the fact that any ionization would normally follow the same, craggy line that a lightning bolt would follow, makes me call BS.

Sorry for ionizing the bubble. :blush:

"That, and the fact that any ionization would normally follow the same, craggy line that a lightning bolt would follow"

I had the same thought. I wonder if the picture is a result of a particular digital camera setting, which produces the different results this technology is known for?

The pic does look a whole lot like it's taken directly from scenes in the movie, 'Thor'.

Always the skeptic, I had a close look at this photo. For a while, I thought that I couldn't find anything wrong with it.... but....

Look at the reflection of any vertical lines on the wet ground from the barn. NONE of them are perfectly straight. But the reflected "ionization" column is perfectly straight and virtually uninterrupted by the difference between wet asphalt and puddles, except in a couple of places. Nothing close to the reflection of the barn, though.

That, and the fact that any ionization would normally follow the same, craggy line that a lightning bolt would follow, makes me call BS.

Sorry for ionizing the bubble. :blush:

I agree. The lightning bolt follows the ionization path - lightning is jagged because the ionization path is jagged. Also, the reflection of the ionization is too bright, it's almost exactly as bright as the one in the sky.

. . .Look at the reflection of any vertical lines on the wet ground from the barn. NONE of them are perfectly straight. But the reflected "ionization" column is perfectly straight and virtually uninterrupted by the difference between wet asphalt and puddles, except in a couple of places. Nothing close to the reflection of the barn, though.

. . .

I agree.

The light beam, the barn, the barn door and the tractor are reflected in the set foreground.

Only the first has perfectly straight edges.

A Lightroom 5 (or Photoshop) pro would have featherd & textured the reflection of the 'beam' to make it look more the the rest of the reflections.

Archived