Wj Picks Up Cdns Stuck In Cabo Gratis.

Thebean

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/hurricane-odile-westjet-offers-final-evacuation-flight-to-calgary-1.2772056

Friday's flight to Calgary which was open to all stranded Canadians at no charge left Los Cabos around 3:30 p.m. MT to pick up passengers in Mazatlan. The flight is expected to land in Calgary around 8:30 p.m. MT.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA4821

WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary

The airline has filled two planes with passengers who were stuck in the vacation destination of Los Cabos following the devastation Hurricane Odile inflicted on Mexico's Baja peninsula.

Sunwing Airlines also sent two planes earlier in the week to pick up travellers stranded in Mexico.

My first thought was "Good for Westjet". But there's obviously more going on here than good reporting.

I'm not picking on WJ alone here as virtually all corporations tend to engage in rescues of various sorts that appear to be motivated by humanist concerns. In that regard, I've always wondered if there's really any 'from the bottom of the heart' type of good going on when these sorts of corporate interventions take place, or is the corporatocracy just seizing the moment to position itself in a manner that makes it look good in the eyes of the public and perhaps translate the experience into an uptick in market share?

Had there been a press releases such as this.....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/invitation-media-photo-opportunity-departure-190700843.html

.....announcing the flights, your concern would be legitimate.

In this case, and many others you'll never hear about, and at both airlines, this sort of stuff occurs more than you'd think.

Interesting.... they have changed the headline on that story from the one that was there (that I posted above) to:

Hurricane Odile: Final evacuation flight from Los Cabos arrives in Calgary

And they have moved the Sunwing reference farther up in the story.

Even though they didn't issue a press release, it's still hard to believe that WJ didn't make a call to someone to let them know how good they were. Especially when a WJ spokesman is quoted and then he does a bit more self-back-patting by telling the reporter that they transported 4000 bottles of water and juice down. If they were truly doing it solely for humanitarian reasons, they would simply have confirmed that the flights took place... nothing about transporting people free of charge to their destinations, nothing about juice and water.

Must be a partner then. I found the fare on cheapoair. Just picked a Mexican destination and it produced a result.

Notwithstanding my impression of grandstanding, it was an excellent gesture on the part of both Westjet and Sunwing to get Canadians out of the way of that storm.

On a related note...

The question I have, is how much of a tax write off does the company get when they engage in 'charitable' acts such as this?

And does it help with the profit/loss numbers at year end?

Unless it is a registered charity, which it isn't, nada.

Once the CRA opens that door, look out. You'd have people who buy a burger and give the fries away to a homeless guy wanting to write off the fries as a charitable donation.

It may be really difficult for some of the lefty "big business is bad" crowd to comprehend, but most businesses out there donate substantial amounts of shareholders money to charitable endeavors.

Whether or not ""rescuing stranded" Canadians on holiday in Mexico should even be considered a charitable act is a whole other question.

I think it's worth noting that it's not a "business" or a "corporation" that makes these decisions... at the very heart of it, it was a person that made the decision to offer those rescue flights for free. A human being. Good for him. If his decision results in applause or criticism, he will bear the responsibility for that. I think this decision would be made mostly for humanitarion purposes... and if they get some good press out of it, that's a bonus.

On a related note...

The question I have, is how much of a tax write off does the company get when they engage in 'charitable' acts such as this?

And does it help with the profit/loss numbers at year end?

Basically, the actual cost of the flights (fuel, crew if they're getting paid) is written off just as any business expense. There's just no revenue. This is the same as if a business donated any service to a charity. They can't write off the expense and then claim the charitable donation. They could, I suppose, transfer the expense to a charitable donation account so that they have a record of the donation.

If they were able to claim a charitable donation as well as the expense, that would be double dipping, especially since charitable donations (cash given directly to a charity) are fully expensed for businesses.

There's a pretty big difference.

One company chose not to proactively pursue publicity when it could very easily have done so, the other proactively did. No one is arguing the validity of end result.

It illustrates a philosophical difference in the way of doing things.

Did WestJet fly down to Cabo just to see if there were any Canadians hanging around the airport or were they making a regular run to pick up returning 'guests' and then filled any empty seats with other airlines customers who were available?

Did WestJet fly down to Cabo just to see if there were any Canadians hanging around the airport or were they making a regular run to pick up returning 'guests' and then filled any empty seats with other airlines customers who were available?

The issue is not why the flight was operated.

The point being discussed are the differing PR philosophies.

WJ chose not to issue a press release advertising that it was prepared to fly back any Canadian needing a ride back to Canada from SJD, even a customer that may have flown down on a competing airline, gratis. They could quite easily have issued a release on Canada Newswire announcing this very generous offer. They didn't. As it happens, the last flight apparently came back about 2/3 empty.

Transat chose to issue two press releases to advise the media of their philanthropic activities to proactively procure a media story.

Different strokes for different folks.

Archived